Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just to clarify...we are talking about a Macbook Pro.... not a normal Macbook.
    "Death to Toasters" - John Connor

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"The Heavens will run red with Blood, but in the End, As Always, Thanos will Stand Triumphant!" - Thanos

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by OSURico112 View Post
    The macbook has 2 memory slots so you would need 1x2gb Card and a 1x1GB card with matching speeds. I have heard that the macbook supports 3gb because the intel core 2 duos support it so it shouldn't be a problem. So if you currently have 2gb of ram in your macbook you'd basically lose one since there'd be no where to put it.
    Do all MacBooks take 3GB? I was of the understanding that the Core Duos could only address 2GB - and if not, I wonder if I could do 3GB in my MBP CD. I was under the impression I was limited to 2GB.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Do all MacBooks take 3GB? I was of the understanding that the Core Duos could only address 2GB - and if not, I wonder if I could do 3GB in my MBP CD. I was under the impression I was limited to 2GB.
    If you look at the tech specs on apples website it shows that max is 3GB...I am wondering if 4 might actually work

"The Heavens will run red with Blood, but in the End, As Always, Thanos will Stand Triumphant!" - Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by GulfVetSAF View Post
    OK, just double checking, but you're saying I can upgrade my macbook to 3GB? Once I get your response I'm going to check out the removing battery suggestion... I'm assuming there's another slot there for an additional stick? I wasn't aware of this.
    For the record, we are talking macbook pro...not a regular macbook right?

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
    For the record, we are talking macbook pro...not a regular macbook right?
    I think GulfVet was asking about a regular Macbook. Yes, you can put 3gb into a Macbook (not talking about a MBP). Check out this link for more info: http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Fr...kcore23gb.html

Quote Originally Posted by flilow06 View Post
    I think GulfVet was asking about a regular Macbook. Yes, you can put 3gb into a Macbook (not talking about a MBP). Check out this link for more info: http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Fr...kcore23gb.html
    I knew the MB could do 3 gb...I am just not sure if the installation is the same.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
    So 4gb lets get crazy posible or point less i know the cpu and stuff limits ram so the extra gb is point less if you are limeted at 3.

But as the macbook and macbook pro's get a bost from having the same ram in each slot would 2gb sticks be best in both a macbook and mac book pro?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by proxy View Post
    So 4gb lets get crazy posible or point less i know the cpu and stuff limits ram so the extra gb is point less if you are limeted at 3.

But as the macbook and macbook pro's get a bost from having the same ram in each slot would 2gb sticks be best in both a macbook and mac book pro?
    Unless you actually need the extra capacity afforded by 3GB, then yes - two matched 1GB modules will yield better performance IF you're never exceeding 2GB of memory utilization.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    Macbook Pro - iPhone
    Ive been wanting to add more ram for sometime now, I do A LOT at once (multiple windows in safari, iphoto, photoshop, adium, mail, etc)

plus, i play world of warcraft which takes a whole lot of memory. anyways- i have 1g atm,

ive looked online and it looks like a bunch of greek to me there are too many choices! how do i know what is a ok brand? I want to put 2 2g sticks but I always want to go for the ridiculous. Im sure 2g is enough?

What to do?!?
    She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
    and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
    Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by ambivalent View Post
    Ive been wanting to add more ram for sometime now, I do A LOT at once (multiple windows in safari, iphoto, photoshop, adium, mail, etc)

plus, i play world of warcraft which takes a whole lot of memory. anyways- i have 1g atm,

ive looked online and it looks like a bunch of greek to me there are too many choices! how do i know what is a ok brand? I want to put 2 2g sticks but I always want to go for the ridiculous. Im sure 2g is enough?

What to do?!?
    2GB should be OK. Check out http://www.crucial.com, they offer top quality memory, lifetime warranty and guarantee compatibility if you use their memory selector utility on their site.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro - iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    2GB should be OK. Check out http://www.crucial.com, they offer top quality memory, lifetime warranty and guarantee compatibility if you use their memory selector utility on their site.
    very helpful thanks.

it says on there that I have 2 slots that are 1g max each... hhmmm 2 should be fine then :p
    She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
    and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
    Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by ambivalent View Post
    very helpful thanks.

it says on there that I have 2 slots that are 1g max each... hhmmm 2 should be fine then :p
    Yup, there are two slots, but I've read that it is possible to actually add up to 3GB. Personally, it's my belief that 2GB is more than enough for most users. When you start to get into heavy-duty apps, development and that sort of thing, you can never have enough.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
    1 GB should be fine....

Something I always keep in mind, is that most people who may download a program or two from the net. Will eventually download programs that will have memory leaks. This includes mainstream products like Firefox, Entourage etc.

Then again most people who use computers don't even know what a memory leak is or how to check for one.

Basically I like having my computer maxed out if possible...that way I know I can do what I want with less restriction in the future.
    What is memory leaks? and how do I check for one?

Specs:
    30GB 5.5G iPod | 2.16GHz MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
    I thought the MacBook Pro supports up to 4GB?

And instructions for installing additional memory is in the manual Apple included in the box

Also, unless you really run heavy intensive stuff like photoshop or iMovie everyday, I don't really think there is a need. I am ok with running dreamweaver and Vmware fusion and a few safari on 1Gb ram
    (my CPU is 2.16GHZ)

Specs:
    Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Back on April 18, my office blog actually covered this topic...and we had issues with dropping more than 2GB into a Macbook pro. ::shrug::

http://yourmacstore.blogspot.com/200...or-memory.html

Is there something that we missed that you managed to do? :lol:

Thread Information