New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Powerbook released just after I bought mine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I was a little peeved when I went to apple.com and saw the new more powerful Powerbooks released just two months after I got my spanking new laptop. Anyway, I went into the Apple store and no questions asked they handed me a brand new 1.33 GHz model!!! I had to pay the restocking fee, however since I was also returning my Airport card (new Powerbooks all have Airport built-in) I ended up spending $60 total, for the newer Powerbook. I was happy as hell. So now I've got 33% more power, twice the video memory, a faster front side bus, 20 gigs more HD space, and built-in Airport Extreme.

On the downside, I got my new Powerbook home about an hour ago only to find that the CD-Rom drive is dying, it makes horrible noises. This is the second one I've heard like this, we had to return my girlfriend's first Powerbook for the same reason. So...this one will be going back first thing in the morning for one with a working CD drive.

Aside from the fact that I think Apple's quality control sucks (returned 50% of their products so far, for malfunctions, including an iPod) I'm ecstatic with their customer service. They have ALWAYS replaced my stuff no questions asked, after testing it and confirming the problem. They've always been incredibly nice to me, and very patient.

Despite the faulty drive, I'm still a very happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Awesome to hear! I agree their QA is severaly lacking these days, and from some threads it even sounds like their CS is not doing so well either, but then we get threads like these that really brighten the outlook on Apple's CS and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
tekno_geek911

Wow! They let you return a 2 month old PB for a new one? I thought it was only 10 days?
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno_geek911
Wow! They let you return a 2 month old PB for a new one? I thought it was only 10 days?
You'd be surprised how far a little flirting with the female management, can get you.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
I was a little peeved when I went to apple.com and saw the new more powerful Powerbooks released just two months after I got my spanking new laptop. Anyway, I went into the Apple store and no questions asked they handed me a brand new 1.33 GHz model!!! I had to pay the restocking fee, however since I was also returning my Airport card (new Powerbooks all have Airport built-in) I ended up spending $60 total, for the newer Powerbook. I was happy as hell. So now I've got 33% more power, twice the video memory, a faster front side bus, 20 gigs more HD space, and built-in Airport Extreme.
*drops second PB17*
QUOTE Thanks
PC HATER

dAMN,AFTER TWO MONTHS. HMM I WONDER IF THEY WILL LET ME TURN MY IPOD BACK IN IT HAS HAD SCREAN PROBLEMS ITS BEEN REAL FUZZY. AND DIM i HOPE i DID NOT BUY IT FROM THE APPLE STORE
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I wish Apple would give me a working hard drive. I deserve a new PowerBook because I have had nothing but trouble with this PowerBook. It makes me so angry.
My hard drive used to need to be reformatted every other week. Now my new one needs a reformat every night.
I hate my PowerBook. Maybe my dad will give me his... yeah. I need sleep now.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

That certainly shouldn't be happening. I have never needed a format on my desktop, and my bro never on his iBook
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Yeah well, it's happening.
Plus I have a lot of dead pixels. One was on the PowerBook when I got it. I'm pissed.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
Yeah well, it's happening.
Plus I have a lot of dead pixels. One was on the PowerBook when I got it. I'm pissed.
I got my powerbook around the same time as you and have not had a single problem with pixels or hard drive

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

Got mine about the same time too (17") and have no dead pixels or any other problem. I hate that dead pixels are not something that they will replace a screen for but that's the way it is. I would be upset if my new $3000 computer had burned out pixels.

Sounds like your computer may have more problems than pixels. Something is corrupting the harddrive. If you are lucky, they will replace your laptop with a new one if it's something really bad.
QUOTE Thanks
Mouse26

I had the same problem when I bought an ibook then just a couple of weeks later they released the new line.

Rather than just snigger at my misfortune though, the customer service girl was amazingly nice to me and I ended up getting a new powerbook for just a little more than I spent on my iBook. Not only that but they called me back afterwards to make sure I was satisfied and that I was coping with my new Mac after switching from a PC.

After years of having to deal with squat, surly, I.T. Nazi's from my local PC store, Apple customer service was a breath of fresh air and another good reason why I'll not be going back to a pc anytime soon. That's in the UK though, so I'm not sure if it's different in the States?
QUOTE Thanks
G4Power

thats awesome that you got to trade in for it. My PB is the first version with the black keyboard and honestly i like it more than the new one. Its just cleaner with the ports and everything in the back with the cover and not on the side and i just think it looks better overall.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Wow a 1Ghz Tibook, sweet *drool*
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning *.avi file on a mac...help | Keys falling off »