New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Powerbook owner....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

section31

Well, I haven't used an Apple since I was in grade school 19 years ago but my curiousity made me buy the new 12" 1.33GHZ superdrive powerbook.

No plans on being a permanent switcher since my experience with Unix, Linux and Windows has been pretty good. I'm just curious and I want to learn something new and different. OS X impressed me when I first saw it a year ago in the Apple store.

After mulling over what to buy for a whole year and lurking in the forums, the new powerbooks were exactly what I've been waiting for. I've only been on this powerbook for 2 hours now and I've got to say I love it so far.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Congrats! That's pretty much how it happened for me, other than it hasn't been 19yrs since grade school. However, I have become a permanent switcher..not meaning I will never own a pc..just that macs have become my live, and my primary source for work, information, and fun..the pc is there for the few things I can't do on the mac yet...or can't do because of money, etc etc....and also because I grew up using them, and feel obligated to still be friends with them...I definently do not hate them. Also so I don't get out of the loop, so to speak.

Again..congrats on the powerbook...I was kind of upset when the new ones came out. I bought mine sometime in december...I wanted the 15", but it worked out that I could only get the 12". And now the 12" has even more than the 15" had at that time...for the exact same price..man..it hurts..but I still love my powerbook...laptops are amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by section31
Well, I haven't used an Apple since I was in grade school 19 years ago but my curiousity made me buy the new 12" 1.33GHZ superdrive powerbook.
I don't like you. Your computer is better than mine...
...my dad got one today. I was so mad...
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Congrats! I can't wait until I can afford to upgrade my PB also!
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

Just don't forget that you have to do some weekly things and what not. For the automated one go to versiontracker.com and download Onyx. However if you wanted to do it all manuallly, I'm sure witeshark will drop in sooner or later. He'll tell you. Well congrats on the your new baby...

EY

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Yup! here it is! (CONGRATZ!!)
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Don't repair permissions every 2 weeks, it's useless. Only after major software updates.
Jeeze whitshark, don't scare the kid with big UNIX terms. :p
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

It's really very easy, I got used to it all in a few days
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

If only i was as adventerous as you witeshark, I'm waaaaay to lazy for that. Haha. I prefer the automated way.. everything at the click of a button. Oh the wonders of technology. If only they had flawless automated typing.. one day one day..

EY

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Haha! Yeah! That would really rule! I make a lot of typo's when typing! I always have to reread...
QUOTE Thanks
section31

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm still trying to learn all that I can so I appreciate any help that anyone can offer. I'll be checking the forums often but I have to admit...I absolutely love this little machine and I haven't done much but surf and set it up.

The OS is totally slick and it's nice to know that if I want to get down into the OS, I can access the command line. It'll probably be a while though since one of the reasons why I bought the Mac is because I use Unix/windows at work and then program at school with windows/linux machines. I wanted to get a mac so that what I do on the PC at home just doesn't feel like work/school.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Key Symbols | Who got thiers...? »