New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - screen resolution problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SJTrance

SJTrance is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2ghz, Core Duo, 1gig ram, 100Gig

I have this new problem which just started to happen for no real reason. When i try to open my macbook pro after it's just been closed and sleeping for some time, the screen resolution jumps to a magnified level. If I close the lid and wait for a few seconds and open it again, then it flashes back to the normal size. I didn't notice this before I upgraded to the latest version of Mac OS update. Any idea on what could be causing this?
QUOTE Thanks
teb1034

teb1034 is on a distinguished road

I've had a similar problem, both now and before the last update. I'd say, once every 50 wake-ups, the screen will be magnified (resolution looks awful) and I'll go in and do a restart and things will usually be better. It certainly wasn't a 'regular' occurance. However, this last time I did a restart, my boot screen resolution was ugly as well and now it appears that my boot screen (apple + loader icon) is permanently at the wrong resolution. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

This may be a resolution to your problem =)

When restarting, hold down CONTROL OPTION P R. Wait until the third chime, then let go of the keys.

That will reset PRAM which may hold the the screen resolution setting on reboot.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
fbugnon

fbugnon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
This may be a resolution to your problem =)

When restarting, hold down CONTROL OPTION P R. Wait until the third chime, then let go of the keys.

That will reset PRAM which may hold the the screen resolution setting on reboot.
I know it's been long time since this thread begun, but I want/need to revive it because I'm still having the same problem even after the PRAM reset (I even reinstalled the whole system but problems persists).

I guess this might be somehow related to connecting an external screen to it, because that's when I begun notice this problem.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 1,1 (first generation), running OS 10.5 now, but problem begun under 10.4. In fact there actually TWO problems:
1. the one mentioned by SJTrance (very low resolution, usually when coming back from sleep);
and
2. good appearance but somewhat funny horizontal resolution (all look perfect on the screen but when I try to use "exposé" I realize that the edge of the "virtual screen" is not at the corner of my computer's "physical screen", but farther.) This usually happens on a fresh boot / restart.
The first problem is solved simply by hitting fn+F7, which makes the screen resolution come back to normal settings.

But to the second problem, the only solution I was able to find, so far, is open the system preferences and, under "screen resolution", hit the "detect screen" button. It flashes once or twice and the 1440x900 comes back in place.

But I would really appreciate not having to go through this each time I start/reboot my computer.

Any ideas?

PS: I might say I'm doing a triple boot with W7 beta and Ubuntu 8.10 and I haven't had any related problems with those OSs...
QUOTE Thanks
tonyj

tonyj is on a distinguished road

Try this:-

a) System Preferences.
b) Universal Access.
c) Turn Zoom OFF.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mind2mind

mind2mind is on a distinguished road

Brilliant! It was that simple. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
sjfootballer01

sjfootballer01 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo 15" Macbook Pro v10.5.8

Sorry to bring this up again too, but I am also having the same problem.

Recently I was having issues with my macbook pro. It wouldn't boot up. It would turn on and turn off at the grey screen after about 5 seconds.

I ended up reinstalling Leopard. I'm currently at 10.5.8. At first I thought everything was running fine, but I'm having the same issues with the resolution.

When I wake the computer back up or turn it on I have the really low resoultion. I've tried resetting the PRAM and my zoom is off. What's weird is when I go into the resolution settings to try to fix it I am unable to because it opens 2 windows. (one for resolution settings and one for VGA display which I have no idea how to access when the computer is acting normal)

What should I do? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfootballer01 View Post

What's weird is when I go into the resolution settings to try to fix it I am unable to because it opens 2 windows. (one for resolution settings and one for VGA display which I have no idea how to access when the computer is acting normal)

What should I do? Thanks
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Can you provide a screenshot/clarify this a bit?

BTW, do you have a second screen attached to your computer? Is it perhaps a VGA monitor? If so that might account for what I think you are seeing. With multiple monitors attached (counting the built-in screen) and if the preference pane is set to gather windows the setting windows for all displays will appear on the same screen.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
sjfootballer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Can you provide a screenshot/clarify this a bit?

BTW, do you have a second screen attached to your computer? Is it perhaps a VGA monitor? If so that might account for what I think you are seeing. With multiple monitors attached (counting the built-in screen) and if the preference pane is set to gather windows the setting windows for all displays will appear on the same screen.
No, I don't have an external monitor. I'll try to explain it again.

When the resolution appears normal I can go into System Preferences and click on Displays and then it has the resolution settings, set to 1440 x 900.

When the resolution messes up and is really low, If I go into System Preferences and click on Displays it has the resolution settings AND a window for VGA display settings which I can't access any other time. So when I try to change resolution back to 1440 x 900 it still does not appear correct
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Now I understand what you mean. I don't think I have seen that before. Don't have a solution yet but I'll keep an eye out.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try a Reset of the SMC - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
sjfootballer01

Hey I've tried resetting the SMC as well. Here's a pic that shows the resolution is set to 1440 x 900 already and the two windows

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Did you at one time have an external monitor hooked up to your MacBook Pro? Anyway, try resetting the PRAM - NVRAM to see if that removes the ghost monitor that's showing up in that second window.
QUOTE Thanks
sjfootballer01

Hey I have reset the PRAM & NVRAM a few times. When it starts up following that the settings are fine but after waking my macbook up it may get messed up again. I've never had an external monitor hooked up to this computer other than when I was copying files in target mode before reinstall leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Well, you have a stubborn ghost... Try this: create another account as a test and see if the same problem shows up when logging on to the new account.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleted Items, More Used Space?! | Help with circle w/ slash at startup... can't boot safemode, can't run disc... »