Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    2ghz, Core Duo, 1gig ram, 100Gig
    screen resolution problem
    I have this new problem which just started to happen for no real reason. When i try to open my macbook pro after it's just been closed and sleeping for some time, the screen resolution jumps to a magnified level. If I close the lid and wait for a few seconds and open it again, then it flashes back to the normal size. I didn't notice this before I upgraded to the latest version of Mac OS update. Any idea on what could be causing this?

Same here...
    I've had a similar problem, both now and before the last update. I'd say, once every 50 wake-ups, the screen will be magnified (resolution looks awful) and I'll go in and do a restart and things will usually be better. It certainly wasn't a 'regular' occurance. However, this last time I did a restart, my boot screen resolution was ugly as well and now it appears that my boot screen (apple + loader icon) is permanently at the wrong resolution. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    This may be a resolution to your problem =)

When restarting, hold down CONTROL OPTION P R. Wait until the third chime, then let go of the keys.

That will reset PRAM which may hold the the screen resolution setting on reboot.
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by giulio View Post
    This may be a resolution to your problem =)

When restarting, hold down CONTROL OPTION P R. Wait until the third chime, then let go of the keys.

That will reset PRAM which may hold the the screen resolution setting on reboot.
    I know it's been long time since this thread begun, but I want/need to revive it because I'm still having the same problem even after the PRAM reset (I even reinstalled the whole system but problems persists).

I guess this might be somehow related to connecting an external screen to it, because that's when I begun notice this problem.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 1,1 (first generation), running OS 10.5 now, but problem begun under 10.4. In fact there actually TWO problems:

1. the one mentioned by SJTrance (very low resolution, usually when coming back from sleep);
    and
    2. good appearance but somewhat funny horizontal resolution (all look perfect on the screen but when I try to use "exposť" I realize that the edge of the "virtual screen" is not at the corner of my computer's "physical screen", but farther.) This usually happens on a fresh boot / restart.

The first problem is solved simply by hitting fn+F7, which makes the screen resolution come back to normal settings.

But to the second problem, the only solution I was able to find, so far, is open the system preferences and, under "screen resolution", hit the "detect screen" button. It flashes once or twice and the 1440x900 comes back in place.

But I would really appreciate not having to go through this each time I start/reboot my computer.

Any ideas?

PS: I might say I'm doing a triple boot with W7 beta and Ubuntu 8.10 and I haven't had any related problems with those OSs...

Resolution Problem
    Try this:-

a) System Preferences.
    b) Universal Access.
    c) Turn Zoom OFF.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

Regards.

Universal Access
    Brilliant! It was that simple. Thanks.

Specs:
    2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo 15" Macbook Pro v10.5.8
    Sorry to bring this up again too, but I am also having the same problem.

Recently I was having issues with my macbook pro. It wouldn't boot up. It would turn on and turn off at the grey screen after about 5 seconds.

I ended up reinstalling Leopard. I'm currently at 10.5.8. At first I thought everything was running fine, but I'm having the same issues with the resolution.

When I wake the computer back up or turn it on I have the really low resoultion. I've tried resetting the PRAM and my zoom is off. What's weird is when I go into the resolution settings to try to fix it I am unable to because it opens 2 windows. (one for resolution settings and one for VGA display which I have no idea how to access when the computer is acting normal)

What should I do? Thanks

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by sjfootballer01 View Post

What's weird is when I go into the resolution settings to try to fix it I am unable to because it opens 2 windows. (one for resolution settings and one for VGA display which I have no idea how to access when the computer is acting normal)

What should I do? Thanks
    I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Can you provide a screenshot/clarify this a bit?

BTW, do you have a second screen attached to your computer? Is it perhaps a VGA monitor? If so that might account for what I think you are seeing. With multiple monitors attached (counting the built-in screen) and if the preference pane is set to gather windows the setting windows for all displays will appear on the same screen.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Can you provide a screenshot/clarify this a bit?

BTW, do you have a second screen attached to your computer? Is it perhaps a VGA monitor? If so that might account for what I think you are seeing. With multiple monitors attached (counting the built-in screen) and if the preference pane is set to gather windows the setting windows for all displays will appear on the same screen.
    No, I don't have an external monitor. I'll try to explain it again.

When the resolution appears normal I can go into System Preferences and click on Displays and then it has the resolution settings, set to 1440 x 900.

When the resolution messes up and is really low, If I go into System Preferences and click on Displays it has the resolution settings AND a window for VGA display settings which I can't access any other time. So when I try to change resolution back to 1440 x 900 it still does not appear correct

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Now I understand what you mean. I don't think I have seen that before. Don't have a solution yet but I'll keep an eye out.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Try a Reset of the SMC - link.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Hey I've tried resetting the SMC as well. Here's a pic that shows the resolution is set to 1440 x 900 already and the two windows

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Did you at one time have an external monitor hooked up to your MacBook Pro? Anyway, try resetting the PRAM - NVRAM to see if that removes the ghost monitor that's showing up in that second window.

Specs:
    Hey I have reset the PRAM & NVRAM a few times. When it starts up following that the settings are fine but after waking my macbook up it may get messed up again. I've never had an external monitor hooked up to this computer other than when I was copying files in target mode before reinstall leopard.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Well, you have a stubborn ghost... Try this: create another account as a test and see if the same problem shows up when logging on to the new account.

Thread Information