New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Have i screwed up my Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlexMacbook

AlexMacbook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64

I put in a small style CD into my slot drive and it has gone in but wont be recognised and wont come back out.

Apple are quoting 50 to remove!! neye:

Is there a way of doing a forced eject?

Or how else would i get the CD out?

Willing to open it up if needs be, as long as there is little chance of messing it up?

What do people think?

2009 Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz / 8GB Ram / 500GB HDD :dive: RIP Macbook Black!
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Personally mate - I'd rather go for the £50 that Apple quoted - if you do it your-self you could be looking at a much bigger bill from Apple if you mess something else up (and of course by opening it, you'll void the warranty).

Let Apple do it and just consider it a lesson learned the hard-way.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

I agree - that's nothing compared to what it would cost to fix it if you break something.
QUOTE Thanks
Angelojoseph17

Angelojoseph17 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.0 ghz core duo 2. 2gb ram ddr2, 60gb hard drive, superdrive. ipod video 30gb. Iphone

someone i know did the same thing. you wanna just do it the apple way
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

A "small style CD?" As in one of those tiny ones referenced in this article?

Check out this thread and see if any of the tips there help.

Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

those discs are 100% not compatible with slot loading drives, which i guess you have just figured out....luckily the disk should be in the drive no farther than your finger was able to push it in....

if you have a relatively thin pair of tweezers and you dont care much about the disk i would very cautiosly try to remove the disc with that but if it is a no go dont force anything or scratch your compy or anything like that...i would then bring it to the apple store and pay them to do it because just about anything else is going to void your warantee....and taht is something you dont want to do
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Jag_Imaging

Jag_Imaging is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem..I just took a normal cd..and gently pushed it in the slot pushing against the mini disk..The drive grabbed the mini disk and ejected it..
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Imaging View Post
I had the same problem..I just took a normal cd..and gently pushed it in the slot pushing against the mini disk..The drive grabbed the mini disk and ejected it..

...clever idea
QUOTE Thanks
AlexMacbook

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64

That is the one, it said nowhere that the drive doesnt support this kind of disc, not that i saw anyway so im a bit annoyed at another £50 to fix it.

I will try pushing it in a little farther and see what happens, if not its off to apple.

QUOTE Thanks
AlexMacbook

tried the cd idea, it worked the first time, could just see the edge, maybe enough to get tweezers but i pushed it in again by accident, now it wont eject, its just lodged in there, £50 it is i think.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMacbook View Post
That is the one, it said nowhere that the drive doesnt support this kind of disc,
Just to clarify for others, so they can hopefully avoid the unfortunate situation that the OP is in, on page 69 of the MacBook User Guide it states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook User Guide, p.69
Important: The optical drive on your MacBook supports standard circular 12 cm discs. Irregularly shaped discs or discs smaller than 12 cm are not supported. These types of discs can become lodged in the drive.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jag_Imaging

Jag_Imaging is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMacbook View Post
tried the cd idea, it worked the first time, could just see the edge, maybe enough to get tweezers but i pushed it in again by accident, now it wont eject, its just lodged in there, 50 it is i think.
That sucks..It happened twice to me too..But both times I was able to use an other cd to get it out..
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky B

Ricky B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...

To be fair, it wasn't your best idea was it really, I mean putting a daft sized disk into that kind of mechanism...
QUOTE Thanks
AlexMacbook

no it wasnt my cleverest moment, a friend said do us a favour, get my images off this, so i tried...

nightmare.

just hope the drive isnt damaged.

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

This happened to me once, but I was able to get it out after much fishing around with a piece of cardboard from the back of packaging of some sort. (Batteries, etc.) This probably is not a good thing to do to the computer but I did get it out and the drive still works perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« One to Two | Safe to use on Lap? »