New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Just got a macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amit1947

amit1947 is on a distinguished road

I just got a black macbook a few hours ago and I have to say, this is THE best computer I've ever used! I went through a couple of laptops (toshiba U205 and HP TX1120) and returned them both so I could get a macbook. I'm very impressed with the experience so far, OSX is an awesome operating system! I come from a computer engineering background, and I can truly say I've found a true work of art in the macbook.

Now I just need to install Vista so I can do software dev. on here.

And a question for you mac users, what do you use for an office suite? Office 2004? Open Office? Also, does 2GB RAM increase performance significantly? I have 1GB currently, and it seems very responsive.
QUOTE Thanks
trojanmike

trojanmike is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the Mac Purchase! I use Office because I received a free copy from work. I previously used the word processor found in ilife and it worked great. Here is a thread with other word processor suggestions:

Office Software..
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

i like microsoft office.....and as long as your not goin to be using photoshop or final cut studio, 1gb should be fine for a while

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1947 View Post
``...I have to say, this is THE best computer I've ever used!
Well what took you so long?

Quote:
You have some bad habits.

Quote:
And a question for you mac users, what do you use for an office suite? Office 2004?
I use Office 2004 in spite of my better judgement. I guess it's "OK"...

Anyway, congratulations on coming over from the Dark Side.
QUOTE Thanks
amit1947

amit1947 is on a distinguished road

Another question,

How do you use the 3d desktop features in OSX? Sorting through open windows and stuff, getting thumbnails of all open windows to show up on the desktop etc.
QUOTE Thanks
.:ren:.

.:ren:. is on a distinguished road

press F9 for a view of all windows
F11 to show desktop
F10 to show all windows open in that particular app you are viewing
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf1899 View Post
i like microsoft office.....and as long as your not goin to be using photoshop or final cut studio, 1gb should be fine for a while
I have 1GB on my MacBook and I run Photoshop CS3 with Safari, and it doesn't slow down. I don't think you'll need more than 1GB unless you're running Aperture with Photoshop and Safari, along with a whole set of memory eating programs.

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Quote:
I just got a black macbook a few hours ago and I have to say, this is THE best computer I've ever used! I went through a couple of laptops (toshiba U205 and HP TX1120) and returned them both so I could get a macbook. I'm very impressed with the experience so far, OSX is an awesome operating system! I come from a computer engineering background, and I can truly say I've found a true work of art in the macbook.

And a question for you mac users, what do you use for an office suite? Office 2004? Open Office? Also, does 2GB RAM increase performance significantly? I have 1GB currently, and it seems very responsive.
Congrats on getting your new MacBook! You should've done it much earlier. I wish I did.

Anyway, I have MS Office 2004, NeoOffice, and iWork '06 installed. I mainly use MS Office (yes I know, mock me), and I was informed that OpenOffice(which is the base of NeoOffice) is included in our computer subject curriculum next year. I only bought iWork because I liked Keynote, and I might need Pages for making newsletters.

2GB RAM increases performance a lot, especially if you run batches of memory eating applications at the same time. But unless you don't, you might not need extra RAM. What do you do with your computer anyway?

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 7 hard drive chrashes in 4 months | External PS/2 Keyboard?? »