Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Safe to use on Lap?
    I'm wondering if its safe to use a macbook just resting it on your lap. I like to sit down on my couch and sit the macbook on my lap and use it like that. Is it safe to do this? Does anyone else use it on their laps or should I only use it on a flat surface so it doesnt tilt at all.

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
    I use my macbook pro on my lap all the time, when it gets too hot i put it on the ground and let it cool off.

Specs:
    Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
    Yep, mines on my lap now. It does get hot and it can hurt your leg a bit.

Specs:
    iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
    Me to, I use it on my lap all the time, it does get warm but no problem I find

Specs:
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    As with others, I use mine on my lap. It gets warm, but not unpleasant.
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

Specs:
    MacBook
    It really should not be used in direct contact with your lap. It isn't a 'laptop' computer, and contrary to popular belief (and use) it is not intended to be used on your lap. Many manufacturers have seen issues with people burning themselves using portable computers in such a manner, hence the the shift of name to 'notebook' computer.
    Apple advises against this as well
    Get a lapdesk or something similar if you choose to use the computer away from a table or desk.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    While I agree with DB, I too use mine on my laptop most of the time - but then, it's usually when I'm doing light surfing, reading email, etc. When you start to strain the machine and it gets warm, I highly recommend a lap desk or moving it to a smooth, flat surface to allow the air to circulate beneath the machine - particularly with the MBP where the case is used at least partially as a heatsink.

As far as whether it will harm the machine - I would say that excessive heat is not good for components like the hard drive and could certainly effect longevity. So, if you feel the machine warm up to where it's even remotely uncomfortable, move it to a flat surface.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    I find that when I use my PB on my lap it gets way too hot.. and as DB pointed out its not good for the computer.. There has been times I have used it on my lap and acually burned my legs.. I use a lapdesk now and it seems to work great..

http://www.lapdesk.com/

the three pictures on the far right, I use the third one.. works great and only set me bac $30 at my local microcenter.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

I used mine on my lap and it does not bother me. THe heat is only about 98 degrees max. I only put it on a desk or level surface when using the disk drive. otherwise it makes a real nasty sound when if I move.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I am on a table now like I normally am, but once in a while I will use it on my lap, but not for long periods of time.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
    I am on a table now like I normally am, ...
    I was just at another forum for role playing games, reading a thread, "Creepiest Person You've Gamed With". Your opening words should earn you the Surrealistic Opening Statement of the Day Award. Congratulations. I think. ^_^
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

Specs:
    White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
    I use it on my lap sometimes, when there's no place to charge and I use it on battery. But sometimes it gets hot and it warms my thighs, and makes it sweat. I don't think sweat is good for the MacBook. :flower:

Sometimes I leave it on its case (Crumpler "The School Hymn") and place it on my lap, but when it takes long I sweat and the bottom of the case gets slippery. There's a line of sweat that develops. Yuck.

Bottomline: You can use it on your lap if you prefer, but make sure it's not that long. If you plan on using it for a long period of time on your lap, get a lap desk. It's better than burning your lap. Or making sweat cling to your notebook.

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
    || WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
    || iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||

I only use mine on my lap. If you aren't smart enough to remove it if it's melting the flesh on your legs, you shouldn't be swimming in the deep end of the gene pool. :biohazard

I usually situate my legs at the corners of the MacBook. The whole center section is open to the air underneath. It actually gets more airflow than it would if it was sitting on a desk. I've never even felt uncomfortable with the warmth.

Specs:
    iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
    It seems that most of us do use it on our laps, its just a case of being sensible and if you are going to use it for a long time then a table is best but I find up to 1 hour is no prob

Chris

Specs:
    Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
    You jerks with your nice laptops.

I use mine on my lap, but I find I have to pick it up every now and then and let it cool down.

Thread Information