New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Safe to use on Lap?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Keef

Keef is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if its safe to use a macbook just resting it on your lap. I like to sit down on my couch and sit the macbook on my lap and use it like that. Is it safe to do this? Does anyone else use it on their laps or should I only use it on a flat surface so it doesnt tilt at all.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I use my macbook pro on my lap all the time, when it gets too hot i put it on the ground and let it cool off.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Yep, mines on my lap now. It does get hot and it can hurt your leg a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
chrisiw

chrisiw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.

Me to, I use it on my lap all the time, it does get warm but no problem I find
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

As with others, I use mine on my lap. It gets warm, but not unpleasant.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

It really should not be used in direct contact with your lap. It isn't a 'laptop' computer, and contrary to popular belief (and use) it is not intended to be used on your lap. Many manufacturers have seen issues with people burning themselves using portable computers in such a manner, hence the the shift of name to 'notebook' computer.
Apple advises against this as well
Get a lapdesk or something similar if you choose to use the computer away from a table or desk.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

While I agree with DB, I too use mine on my laptop most of the time - but then, it's usually when I'm doing light surfing, reading email, etc. When you start to strain the machine and it gets warm, I highly recommend a lap desk or moving it to a smooth, flat surface to allow the air to circulate beneath the machine - particularly with the MBP where the case is used at least partially as a heatsink.

As far as whether it will harm the machine - I would say that excessive heat is not good for components like the hard drive and could certainly effect longevity. So, if you feel the machine warm up to where it's even remotely uncomfortable, move it to a flat surface.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I find that when I use my PB on my lap it gets way too hot.. and as DB pointed out its not good for the computer.. There has been times I have used it on my lap and acually burned my legs.. I use a lapdesk now and it seems to work great..

http://www.lapdesk.com/

the three pictures on the far right, I use the third one.. works great and only set me bac $30 at my local microcenter.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

I used mine on my lap and it does not bother me. THe heat is only about 98 degrees max. I only put it on a desk or level surface when using the disk drive. otherwise it makes a real nasty sound when if I move.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I am on a table now like I normally am, but once in a while I will use it on my lap, but not for long periods of time.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
I am on a table now like I normally am, ...
I was just at another forum for role playing games, reading a thread, "Creepiest Person You've Gamed With". Your opening words should earn you the Surrealistic Opening Statement of the Day Award. Congratulations. I think. ^_^

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

I use it on my lap sometimes, when there's no place to charge and I use it on battery. But sometimes it gets hot and it warms my thighs, and makes it sweat. I don't think sweat is good for the MacBook. :flower:

Sometimes I leave it on its case (Crumpler "The School Hymn") and place it on my lap, but when it takes long I sweat and the bottom of the case gets slippery. There's a line of sweat that develops. Yuck.

Bottomline: You can use it on your lap if you prefer, but make sure it's not that long. If you plan on using it for a long period of time on your lap, get a lap desk. It's better than burning your lap. Or making sweat cling to your notebook.

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I only use mine on my lap. If you aren't smart enough to remove it if it's melting the flesh on your legs, you shouldn't be swimming in the deep end of the gene pool. :biohazard

I usually situate my legs at the corners of the MacBook. The whole center section is open to the air underneath. It actually gets more airflow than it would if it was sitting on a desk. I've never even felt uncomfortable with the warmth.
QUOTE Thanks
chrisiw

chrisiw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.

It seems that most of us do use it on our laps, its just a case of being sensible and if you are going to use it for a long time then a table is best but I find up to 1 hour is no prob

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Cassifire

Cassifire has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.

You jerks with your nice laptops.

I use mine on my lap, but I find I have to pick it up every now and then and let it cool down.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have i screwed up my Macbook? | iBook G4 HD »