New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Does putting the computer to sleep park the hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerbils

jerbils is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 120 GB, 2 GB RAM, Superdrive

I've been told that if I'm going to carry my MacBook around in a bag or anything, I should shut it down rather than put it to sleep, because the hard drive does not park in sleep. Is this true? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

This site is quite interesting for that topic: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303698
QUOTE Thanks
jerbils

While that was informative, it didn't really answer my question. I wanted to know if it's safe to carry around a sleeping MacBook (from class to class, for example), or if it's better to turn it off entirely.
QUOTE Thanks
Surreality

Surreality will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook

I'm pretty sure putting a Macbook to sleep parks the hard drive but I would be safe and always shut it off completely when your going to be moving it around.
QUOTE Thanks
juco

juco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iBook

Don't think i've turned my iBook off since buying it. I carry it round all day, every day. Never had a problem
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25801

Quote:
What happens when the computer goes to sleep (not just into idle mode or display sleep)?

On all computers:
- The microprocessor goes into a low-power mode
- Video output is turned off, and the connected display may turn off as well, or enter its own idle state
- Apple-supplied hard disks spin down
- Third-party hard disks may spin down
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

It is safer to shut it down. It only takes a few second to turn it on anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
pao2pao16

pao2pao16 is on a distinguished road

yeah. my previews laptop was so slow when booting. i always hibernate the thing. now i have mac, its fast to turn it on. it boots fast. so i dont bother turning it off then on.
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

my MacBook is always sleeping when I carry it around, and I have not yet had a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

I concur with visualpurple, I have had my macbook since August 2006 and she (that's right, she) has come with me to every class sleeping. No problems yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Another vote for putting it to sleep. Been doing it since last December and it still works like a charm.

Plus, it's far more useful when you can just open the lid and start working rather than having to boot up the computer if I just want to use it real quick. Also, it makes all the Windows laptop user jealous because they have to shut down :black:
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I can't think of a good reason to shut it down. The hard drive is the only moving part and it stops spinning in sleep mode. I wait for the white LED to start pulsing. Then I put it in the case and I'm on my way.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbils View Post
I've been told that if I'm going to carry my MacBook around in a bag or anything, I should shut it down rather than put it to sleep, because the hard drive does not park in sleep. Is this true? Thanks in advance.
You may also find this interesting/helpful.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Sleeping_your_Mac
QUOTE Thanks
jerbils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel1 View Post
You may also find this interesting/helpful.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Sleeping_your_Mac
Ah, that answered my question. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
yosehb

yosehb is on a distinguished road

Hmm, sometimes I like to watch anime on my Macbook and I end up falling asleep with the screen up. I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be future problems, but just to be on the safe side does anyone have any other opinions?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless G for my ibook g3? | Question on Updating »