New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Spill on the Touchpad, how do I get under there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lizphoto

lizphoto is on a distinguished road

About a year ago I spilled MAYBE a droplet of soda on my touchpad (i know, i know) & obviously a little got under the clicker and it sticks here and there and is soooo annoying. I hate using another powerbook because the touchpad clicker is so smooth and nice!! Is there anyway I can take the casing off to clean under the touch pad clicker? Any/All suggestions would be great! Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Bill_Gates

Bill_Gates has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

There will be a guide on this site on how to dissemble the unit. Just choose whatever powerbook you have and bingo! I just recently installed a 160gb drive into one of my powerbooks and part of that process was removing the top cover... Wasn't too daunting (though I had one of the techs at work do it for me )

I am not sure what kind of access you have to the track pad from the bottom of that top cover... but might be worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Hm.. doesn't look too good. seems like the touchpad is kind of attached to the housing.

I like www.ifixit.com for these problems. Just check an installation instruction and see on their pictures how it looks like in there.

Didn't know which PB you have so I just selected one: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Powe...Ti-Mercury/21/ if you click through there you see at some point "the other side" of the trackpad. You might be able to take that off and clean it - not sure though.

Sorry, doesn't help a lot but it's a start.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

The touchpad is indeed attached to the top case, however it can be removed with a little effort. This is a fairly straight forward repair, just make sure you have the right tools in advance. RadTech sells pretty much everything you'd need (nylon sticks, tiny phillips screwdriver, etc).

Good luck!

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« laptop wont close properly | No startup chime... »