New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - ripping cds to external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vokeyuk

vokeyuk is on a distinguished road

ripping cds to external drive....how do you do it. i know how to rip to itunes but if i want to rip a whole cd and place on an external drive, how do you go about it?

i want to get rid of all my cds and get them digital, its prob very simple but any direction would be good. cheers all
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

well, couldn't you rip it using itunes, then move the folder itunes creates to the external harddrive?
QUOTE Thanks
vokeyuk

hi - i had thought of that, just wondered if there was another way - to save me beefing up my macbook hard drive.

thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Each CD ripped, depending on which format you use; if you rip Lossless or to a .wav or .aiff encoding, is going to only occupy at most 700MB of space (Lossless, .wav, .aiff) and usually something way smaller, such as 70MB (ACC/mp3.) You should be able to move the folder right away after it's ripped to the external drive. In iTunes right(control)-click the song and select 'show in finder' from the context menu to find where the folder is.

Keep in mind that if you are dragging a folder from the internal drive to an external, Finder won't 'move' the files, but copy them so you have to trash the folder on the internal drive.

You might be best served if you move your iTunes library to the external drive. I used to have a Mac Mini and thus had an external drive always connected so I kept my music on that drive. Now that I have a Macbook which is mobile, the external drive isn't always connected so I don't keep my music there, but it's entirely possible to have iTunes keep your music library (and thus everything you rip from your CDs) on the external drive. If you're mobile though, you won't have your music with you everywhere you go.
QUOTE Thanks
vokeyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Each CD ripped, depending on which format you use; if you rip Lossless or to a .wav or .aiff encoding, is going to only occupy at most 700MB of space (Lossless, .wav, .aiff) and usually something way smaller, such as 70MB (ACC/mp3.) You should be able to move the folder right away after it's ripped to the external drive. In iTunes right(control)-click the song and select 'show in finder' from the context menu to find where the folder is.

Keep in mind that if you are dragging a folder from the internal drive to an external, Finder won't 'move' the files, but copy them so you have to trash the folder on the internal drive.

You might be best served if you move your iTunes library to the external drive. I used to have a Mac Mini and thus had an external drive always connected so I kept my music on that drive. Now that I have a Macbook which is mobile, the external drive isn't always connected so I don't keep my music there, but it's entirely possible to have iTunes keep your music library (and thus everything you rip from your CDs) on the external drive. If you're mobile though, you won't have your music with you everywhere you go.

thats a good idea, never actually thought of that. cheers may give that a go
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

ive been tinkering with this a little lately...come up with my solution.

i keep my library on my internal, but just change "where it should be" when doing cds to my external... then import a cd with aac 192, and just copy paste it.

then i just set the libbrary back to internal.

works wonderful, and simple enough.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it possible to get the 2.0 80 gig in black? | powerbook wont turn on »