New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Where to buy cheap good quality memory?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wireless023

wireless023 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I need to buy another gig ram for my MBP. Does anybody have experiences‚
QUOTE Thanks
voided3

voided3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM

Hey, go to www.newegg.com. I got a gig stick of Mushkin RAM for my MBP a few months ago and the price keeps getting lower. They sell several other brands of the memory too, but here's the Mushkin I got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146126

It even has a rebate right now! By the way, make sure the RAM you get is a DDR2 200-pin SODIMM rated at 667mhz and, if you plan to install it yourself, you'll need the smallest phillips screwdriver you can possibly find. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

www.arkdevices.com (Kingston distributor)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

stonysleep will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11

I always recommend crucial for ram - i've bought cheap ram before and suffered the consequences. With crucial you get good quality and decent value for money
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Newegg.com or go to Frys if you have one local. I would stick with Transcend bran. I have seen issues with lots of other brands, but I know Transcend always works.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I just got one from Newegg, G-Skill, and it's been working like a champ. Newegg typically has the best selection and prices for components.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Another vote for newegg here. Their service is 2nd to none for computer gear. Prices are typically as good as it gets for any particular item/brand.

Am new in the Mac world, but not new on hardware. Have not checked who is making Ram for the MBP, but in my experience, would stick to the major manufacturers like Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin and maybe Kngston. Strongly advise buying Ram that has the "manufacturers" name and warranty on it, rather than a 3rd party that is buying from the manufacturers and re-branding it. Have just seen too many issues building and upgrading systems with 2nd tier memory over the years.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

I had a 1GB stick of crucial go dead on me, so even the best can be flawed...BUT...the reason i will ALWAYS recommend crucial, is because they rush shipped me a new stick with no questions asked, and were very friendly. the bottom line is, you get what you pay for. get cheap RAM, and cross your fingers, or buy Crucial and know your safe.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

This thread got me thinking, and I just bought a 2x1GB set from Newegg. I can't believe how much memory prices have dropped in the past couple of months :black:
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixslinger View Post
I had a 1GB stick of crucial go dead on me, so even the best can be flawed...BUT...the reason i will ALWAYS recommend crucial, is because they rush shipped me a new stick with no questions asked, and were very friendly. the bottom line is, you get what you pay for. get cheap RAM, and cross your fingers, or buy Crucial and know your safe.
exactly, because they give you lifetime guarantee on every stick of ram they sell. And you know it's quality because it's got a micron chipset.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonysleep View Post
exactly, because they give you lifetime guarantee on every stick of ram they sell. And you know it's quality because it's got a micron chipset.
Another big thumbs up for Crucial. Great service, decent prices and I've never had a quality problem.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

no where else but newegg.

they get 110% of my business and have all sorts of stuff

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

So, I think I'm going to order some ram for Macky. 1GB from Crucial (2X512), ehhh...wish me luck on installing it myself...I'm a girl. Ughh..I hope I don't mess anything up. I found a tutorial on how to do it. Any advice?? Will I see a huge difference??? I currently only have the standard 512mb.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty4mac View Post
So, I think I'm going to order some ram for Macky. 1GB from Crucial (2X512), ehhh...wish me luck on installing it myself...I'm a girl. Ughh..I hope I don't mess anything up. I found a tutorial on how to do it. Any advice?? Will I see a huge difference??? I currently only have the standard 512mb.
It's pretty simple, just make sure you have a fine phillips screwdriver to remove the screws that retain the cover plate. Insert the module at a 45 degree angle until it slots into place (you can only insert it one way) and then press down until it goes flat and you hear a click (you'll see the two retaining clips snap into place). The nice thing about buying from Crucial is that their customer service is very good, so if you feel uncomfortable, just call them and they'll walk you through it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

You should see a difference - an extra gig will definitely free up some swap space and apps should be zippier.
From my experience of installing ram (not sure about laptops) the key is to be firm when pushing it in.
While you shouldn't snap the stick in half you need to properly click it into place.
Hope that helps, and please don't blame me if it all goes wrong and you break it because you shoved it in with too much force!
Oh, and good to hear you went with crucial - they are very good suppliers from my experience
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« battery ,whats best? | Screwdriver »