New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Is it safe to leave on my MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Derrick

Derrick is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Right now i'm out of town on business and i decided to bring my MBP to keep my busy/work/stay in touch with my family back home. Anyways, I have been leaving it on overnight now just in screen saver mode (screen goes off, just not to sleep) on AC power. Is it safe to continue doing this or am I going to blow out my new MBP withing days? That is something i wouldn't want, especially since it is just over a month old!

And also, here is a stupid question that every MAC user will laugh at me for. I like keyboard shortcuts, and i see this quick one for force quitting programs. It's some squiggly line optoin and i'm guessing power button. Can someone tell me where these keys are, i'm getting frustrated trying to find them.

Thanks

Derrick
QUOTE Thanks
laimonas.s

laimonas.s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2GB RAM, 160gb HDD

there is a way of keeping the mac on while the screen off. go on your dashboard and find a widget called "nighty night" or "sleep" or such, then click on it and your screen will switch off, yet keeping the programs on. Another way is clicking down the brightness on your monitor up to a point in which the light goes off. hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I like keyboard shortcuts, and i see this quick one for force quitting programs. It's some squiggly line optoin and i'm guessing power button. Can someone tell me where these keys are, i'm getting frustrated trying to find them.

Thanks

Derrick

If you look to the left of your space bar you should see:

Command (key with Apple and Clover leaf type image on it)
Option or Alt (in the above image the option key is the top right symbol)
CTRL (control key)
FN (function key)

Does that help?

EDIT:

Option Key and Command Key - one or both of these will form the basis of all of your short-cuts.

Both from Wiki
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Can't you also use the Energy Saver preference. Tell it to turn off your monitor after a minute.

On my laptop, turning down the brightness does not turn off the screen. You can still see windows if you look hard enough.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (54.7 KB, 8 views)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Derrick

Derrick is on a distinguished road

Ok, i have this all set up, but the main thing i was asking I guess was, will this harm my MBP?

MacBook Pro 15.4
2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram, 120GB SATA HDD
Windows XP for Games, Mac for my life
Proud Mac user since March-07
QUOTE Thanks
voided3

voided3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM

There really isn't too much of a need to leave you computer on over night unless you like to stay logged in on IM or are downloading something large. I personally put my MBP to sleep during the day when i'm out and about for a few hours and shut it down when I go to bed at night so I have a fresh boot every day, that and it (for me anyway) isn't necessary to have it on, so I might as well give it a nap and let it cool off. So no, there really isn't any harm in leaving the computer on as long as it stays at a safe temperature (i.e. is sitting on a hard flat desk). Just remember that the power adapter can get warm too, so make sure that is safely positioned. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ram corrosion? | Upgrade hard disk in a night? »