New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Buy now or wait??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cvzyl

cvzyl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook wannabe

I have decided to finally make the switch to Apple and can't wait to get my Macbook. (I have been sitting on the fence ever since my wife swapped to the Mac 2 years ago.) I evaluated my usage and decided that the white Macbook would be the best and most economical option for me.

My problem is that I am a bit concerned that within a month or two after I receive my Macbook, it will be upgraded. Yes, I know that you can never wait for the next best model to be released but according to this page on Macrumors the current Macbooks are already 3/4 into the average update cycle. I have a 3 month old C2D Dell laptop so I am not really pushed to get a new machine urgently but now that I have taken the final decision I can't bear working on it.

Do you think it's worthwhile to wait a month or 2 or should I go ahead and buy one now?

Cobus
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvzyl View Post
Do you think it's worthwhile to wait a month or 2 or should I go ahead and buy one now?
If you are asking that, then you haven't really...
Quote:
...decided to finally make the switch to Apple
Plus, you already answered your own question...
Quote:
I ...can't wait to get my Macbook.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Flic

Flic is a jewel in the roughFlic is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: - Macbook -

I didn't wait for mine. Granted i had no idea about the upcoming new stuff as it was a complete impulse buy! But I don't regret it one bit. Whatever you buy it'll be 'old' in a few weeks.... I say do it!
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Do it, do it, do it etc etc...

I got mine in the early stages of the Macbook and I dont care about my CPU or DVD drive not being as good as the new models. Only cause I like what I have which is the OS that actually works. Oh and my modded apple on the back of the screen hehehe

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Yes, I know that you can never wait for the next best model to be released but according to this page on Macrumors the current Macbooks are already 3/4 into the average update cycle.
The problem with that site is that Apple has under gone a paradigm shift. With the old model, Apple was the only comapany using the processor that were available. Now that Apple has gone with Intel, I believe that will change there update model. There will have to be more updates to any given system before the macrumors can create a better chart.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Welcome to Mac-Forums, zvzyl!

I really ought to keep a copy of the statement I'm about to make, because there's been so many threads like this.

Technology changes constantly. So if you're waiting for the "next big thing", you'll be waiting forever. The question you have to ask yourself is whether the current MacBook suits your needs. If yes, then buy now. To be quite honest, unless the speed of the clock speed of the processor substantially increases (by that I mean, by a third or more) or there are more cores, then the differences in overall performance will be negligible. As far as Leopard goes, there is no way to know when it will come out. From what I've seen, there are no new features that can not be grafted upon Tiger via the aftermarket. To summarize, if the current MacBook looks good to you and will suit your needs, just buy it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MWolverine

MWolverine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook - Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD

I had the same problem a month or so ago. Ultimately, I ended up buying my MacBook now, and I am really glad that I did. I don't know whether Apple will upgrade the specs, but I think the MacBook's are plenty good now, so it is not too big of a deal if they are upgraded. Having a computer that "Just Works" A.S.A.P. is worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
gh11

gh11 is on a distinguished road

Id say wait for leopard to come out. Its rumored to be out in june so its not that far off, and you'll save yourself from paying for the OS upgrade if you want it.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Wait for Leopard. After leopard comes out, rumor has it, a month later a new video card will be in the new macbooks, so wait for that next. A month after that, a new processor will be out in the macbooks, so may want to wait for that. After the processor upgrade comes out, then i heard a new display will be put out, so wait for that too. See where this is headed? there is always something later and greater just over the horizon. The brains over at apple are always thinking, always upgrading, always something new to sell thats better than the last thing they sold. The problem is, if you wait for EVERYTHING, then you end up with NOTHING. Take the plunge and enjoy your new macbook. P.S. All hose rumors are just made up, nothing in the wind about a new video card or processor or display, I just made them up to drive home a point. Noone knows when apple is about to release something except apple themselves.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramacher

Ramacher is on a distinguished road

I'd say go ahead and do it! I made the switch last week and i'm loving my macbook. I'm also phone/technology freak! I couldn't survive without having the latest and greatest cellphone/PPC. Everytime a great device comes out, the manufactures would post the specs of the next successor of that device and people would just keep waiting and waiting and waiting. I just buy the ones that i think will fill my needs, and several times a greater and better device has came out a month or so later and the re-sale value of the one i had just bought shoots down the drain.

JUST DO IT!
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums, zvzyl!

I really ought to keep a copy of the statement I'm about to make, because there's been so many threads like this.

Technology changes constantly. So if you're waiting for the "next big thing", you'll be waiting forever. The question you have to ask yourself is whether the current MacBook suits your needs. If yes, then buy now. To be quite honest, unless the speed of the clock speed of the processor substantially increases (by that I mean, by a third or more) or there are more cores, then the differences in overall performance will be negligible. As far as Leopard goes, there is no way to know when it will come out. From what I've seen, there are no new features that can not be grafted upon Tiger via the aftermarket. To summarize, if the current MacBook looks good to you and will suit your needs, just buy it.
Words of the wise.
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

I know this is my first forum post, just bought a macbook today, but I've heard that Leopard will not be released until around October due to Apple pulling people from it's Dev team to help with the iphone. They stated it will pretty much be finished by June, however not ready for retail yet and up to their standards as they put it. I'll try to locate the source from where I read this the other day.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

If your purchase isn't a "need" based purchase but is a "want" based purchase then you will save a few pennies by waiting until Leopard is released.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! powerbook3400c update problem | Help! iBook G4 having issues with airport... :( »