New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

BUSTED INVERTER BOARD?? FIX or SELL?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sashax415

OK so i just finished writing a reallly long post and then my battery died and i lost the whole thing.. so here is the abbreviated version b/c im too tired to do it all over again. :cool:

I have an 800 mhz IBOOK that I purchased for school and used just for word and internet. pretty much exactly a year and one month later,right when the warrantee expired :mad: ... the screen froze and turned into a colorful display of vertical lines. I restarted and it did it again.. and again.. and again. So I brought it to the Applestore when i had the chance and the guy took one look and said "It's a busted inverter board!" Strangely he looked pretty happy about it. He said it's pretty common and a pretty simple fix. ANyways, with no AppleCare, I took my sickly laptop home and put it in the closet until i could decide what to do. It has now been there about 6 months...

My question is this: I just posted this for sale in the classifieds and was hoping someone could give me an honest opinion of what it is worth?? IS it even worth selling?? Could i have this fixed for less than the arm, leg, and half a soul that APPLE wants? Again, this is in Brand New condition, even the tech said it was obvious that it was hardly used. What do you guys think?... ANy input would really be helpful... THANKS!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

What did they quote to fix it?

Jerry
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

It's still a good computer.....if it's fixed....it shouldn't have the same problems as the other board...apple has apparently fixed those problems...if you can easilly afford to fix it, I would......however..the new g4 iBooks are all relatively cheap...so if you can sell the iBook as is for a couple hundred...or somethng...then purchase a new g4 iBook..that would be pretty sweet..they have the new slot loading drive..
QUOTE Thanks
sashax415

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
It's still a good computer.....if it's fixed....it shouldn't have the same problems as the other board...apple has apparently fixed those problems...if you can easilly afford to fix it, I would......however..the new g4 iBooks are all relatively cheap...so if you can sell the iBook as is for a couple hundred...or somethng...then purchase a new g4 iBook..that would be pretty sweet..they have the new slot loading drive..

I actually HAVE the g4 powerbook already as a replacement.. i got it right after the other one broke so i really just want to sell this one as is...

The guy at apple told me off the top of his head that to have the inverter board replaced it would cost about 300 bucks... not because the board itself is expensive, but because of the labor it would require to open up the laptop... he said this is true of pretty much all laptop repairs..??... Anyway, that seemed kinda steep to me so I asked how much it would be if I just purchased the inverter board myself and had someone outside fix it for me.... and he said $700.00!!!!! :eek: The part itself would cost more than twice the part installed??... it makes no sense to me

WTH right?.. i dunno.. he gave me some kind of reasoning that i didnt understand and i just got out of there.. I mean already having a replacement, I just dont want to deal with it. Sooo.. anyone have a better idea of what this computer might be worth AS IS??? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

hmmm...yeah....try and sell it..but with a broken logic board..you can't expect much from it. I myself wouldn't mind having two laptops..just for the heck of it....so...maybe you should just go ahdead and fix it....and then at least when you sell you....you cold get more money out of it...and at least break even...and not have to give someone a broken laptop.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook Fan | Sound decided not to work anymore »