Thread: RAM Limitation

RAM Limitation
    RAM Limitation
    What is the RAM limitation on the MacBook? I always thought 2 GB but I think I saw a post a while ago saying 3gb? If so, I would really be interested in making this upgrade.

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by AduNeButt View Post
    What is the RAM limitation on the MacBook? I always thought 2 GB but I think I saw a post a while ago saying 3gb? If so, I would really be interested in making this upgrade.
    All versions of the MacBook (currently) are limited to 2GB. The Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro models can accept up to 3GB.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
    Apple "officially" states that the Macbook is limited to 2GB, but if your Macbook is a C2D (as opposed to the original Core Duos) it WILL work with 3GB of RAM.

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    There was a thread recently that showed how you can install 3GB of RAM on a Macbook. If you search around, I'm sure you'll find it.

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    OWC is even showing it on their page and selling a "3GB" kit now: http://tinyurl.com/37vrt3

RAM Limitation

Do you really need 3 gigs on a macbook?!? Maybe i should've upgraded mine. I just ordered my macbook 1 gig ram (Black). Is 1 gig plenty?!? My friends say it is...but do i need 2 gig.

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
    Do you really need 3 gigs on a macbook?!? Maybe i should've upgraded mine. I just ordered my macbook 1 gig ram (Black). Is 1 gig plenty?!? My friends say it is...but do i need 2 gig.
    Unless you're running some heavy-hitter applications and using them to their fullest (think Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc), 1GB is enough. 2GB is overkill and 3GB is just not necessary. The only reason I have 2GB is that I devote 1GB to Vista running on Parallels and even with a dozen applications running on both OSes, I've got plenty to spare.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    I personally have 1GB and it's generally enough for me. However, I notice a bit of a slowdown when running Parallels. So if you plan on doing that, then I think 2GB is the sweet spot.

If you need 3GB, I personally believe your sort of work requires a Macbook Pro.

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    I've got 2GB in my Macbook, mainly because I do have to run Parallels for certain things still (unfortunately). Parallels runs much better with 2GB, although it is certainly passable with 1GB. 3GB is really not the greatest idea on a Macbook because of the on-board 950 graphics - it works better with matched RAM. The graphics performance hit is supposedly very small though.

Since I'm never utilizing all of my current 2GB (even with some supposedly "heavy duty" apps such as Aperture, etc), I don't really see a point in going to 3GB to be honest.

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    13" MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Unless you're running some heavy-hitter applications and using them to their fullest (think Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc), 1GB is enough. 2GB is overkill and 3GB is just not necessary. The only reason I have 2GB is that I devote 1GB to Vista running on Parallels and even with a dozen applications running on both OSes, I've got plenty to spare.
    It really depends on what you're doing on your MacBook. For me, 2GB isn't overkill at all. At any one point, I may be running Parallels, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Flex Builder 2, Navicat, and Firefox at the same time. Not to mention other applications such as Adium, Apache, iTunes, etc...
    Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
    PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
    Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
    On the Internets: Flickr | My Site

RAM Limitation
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_Gecko View Post
    It really depends on what you're doing on your MacBook. For me, 2GB isn't overkill at all. At any one point, I may be running Parallels, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Flex Builder 2, Navicat, and Firefox at the same time. Not to mention other applications such as Adium, Apache, iTunes, etc...
    See, I'd probably put you in the "heavy-hitter" category there. But for the normal user, 1GB is just fine. It's once you start running a virtual machine that you're really going to want a buffer on top of that 1GB.

Thread Information