New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Do I need more RAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chris041067

Well, I have a new G4 pb, 1.25 Ghz w/ 512 mb RAM....I just got garageband and also installed soundtrack. I noticed that when I run soundtrack, it runs smoothly for the most part, even when I get up to around 20 tracks. But when I use Garageband, "part of the song was not played" after i get up around 8 tracks. In Help, it says it would help to upgrade RAM, and i have been told by others that it would help too, but my question i guess is, Why does soundtrack run so smoothly while Garageband...doesnt.?

And the reason i posted this in the hardware section is because I want to know if it would be a good idea to pick up more RAM (i was thinking a 1 Gig stick so i would have 1.25 gigs total since it came with 2 256's) And if i do up the RAM, wheres a good place to get it, other than from apple since they seem to be the most expensive? I have looked around but there are so many kinds i dont know what to look for specifically.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris041067
Well, I have a new G4 pb, 1.25 Ghz w/ 512 mb RAM....I just got garageband and also installed soundtrack. I noticed that when I run soundtrack, it runs smoothly for the most part, even when I get up to around 20 tracks. But when I use Garageband, "part of the song was not played" after i get up around 8 tracks. In Help, it says it would help to upgrade RAM, and i have been told by others that it would help too, but my question i guess is, Why does soundtrack run so smoothly while Garageband...doesnt.?

And the reason i posted this in the hardware section is because I want to know if it would be a good idea to pick up more RAM (i was thinking a 1 Gig stick so i would have 1.25 gigs total since it came with 2 256's) And if i do up the RAM, wheres a good place to get it, other than from apple since they seem to be the most expensive? I have looked around but there are so many kinds i dont know what to look for specifically.
I bought my RAM from http://MacSolutions.com. They had good pricing, good service, and I've had no problems with it.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

You can get your RAM at MacSolutions but it will be overpriced. My suggestion is to buy direct from Crucial at www.crucial.com. They're a direct memory maker, so there's no middle-man markup. They have a lifetime warranty, they guarantee it will work with any Mac, and shipping is usually free.

256 MB @ Macsolutions = $79.99
256 MB @ Crucial = $69.99

512 MB @ Macsolutions = $149.99
512 MB @ Crucial = $122.99

1 GB @ Macsolutions = $479.99 (ouch!)
1 BG @ Crucial = $415.99

So as you can see...there's some pretty gross markup going on over at Macsolutions...as with almost all Apple retailers. Anyway, enjoy your new Powerbook! I just upgraded my RAM and it's humming right along.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
You can get your RAM at MacSolutions but it will be overpriced. My suggestion is to buy direct from Crucial at www.crucial.com. They're a direct memory maker, so there's no middle-man markup. They have a lifetime warranty, they guarantee it will work with any Mac, and shipping is usually free.

256 MB @ Macsolutions = $79.99
256 MB @ Crucial = $69.99

512 MB @ Macsolutions = $149.99
512 MB @ Crucial = $122.99

1 GB @ Macsolutions = $479.99 (ouch!)
1 BG @ Crucial = $415.99

So as you can see...there's some pretty gross markup going on over at Macsolutions...as with almost all Apple retailers. Anyway, enjoy your new Powerbook! I just upgraded my RAM and it's humming right along.
That's strange. When I bought my 512 MB over the summer, MacSolutions was a bit less than, or right around, $100. They were cheaper than Crucial, because I remember checking there before I bought at MacSolutions.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
That's strange. When I bought my 512 MB over the summer, MacSolutions was a bit less than, or right around, $100. They were cheaper than Crucial, because I remember checking there before I bought at MacSolutions.
I'd say that sort of shift is normal - trading off whos taking bigger profit and such :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

So..... bottom line is, check both sites.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Memory prices are like Gold prices, they are always gonig up and down.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Sorry, can't tell you why Soundtrack runs better than GB; possibly due to being made for older hardware?

Anyway, can't hurt to add RAM (or even max it out).
QUOTE Thanks
chris041067

thanks

one more thing...why is a Gig of RAM more than twice as much as 512?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Getting a gig or Ram is done usually with 2 X 512 sticks so about 1024 total
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Getting a gig or Ram is done usually with 2 X 512 sticks so about 1024 total
i think he meant why is the price of a 1 gig stick more than twice as much as a 512 stick. and to answer that, i think it just has to do with the density of the memory chips on the stick of ram. it just costs more to squeeze more memory into the same amount of space.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Startup problem/ | Powerbook g4 Vs. Ibook g4 (Speed) »