New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Pro or not to Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

latinpride613

latinpride613 is on a distinguished road

I bought a Black Macbook about 1 week ago. I have been reading through alot of posts and it seems a high percentage of people have MBP's. Should I eat the 140 dollar restocking fee and return my Macbook and just buy a Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Do you feel as if the MB isn't fulfilling your needs? If so then yes, if not... why spend extra cash just because everyone else has one?
I'd personally prefer to have the MBP but it was too expensive and the MB does everything I need, and more.
QUOTE Thanks
dayal

dayal is on a distinguished road

MBP is awesome mate. But personally, the only reason I would ever go for a MacBook is because it not only looks sexy, but its small to carry around so you can get it out and show it off . As a student, I sometimes wish I bought the MacBook but I'm happy with my choice for a MBP.

|| MACBOOK PRO 2.16GHZ ||
iNTEL CORE DUO 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD || WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayal View Post
MBP is awesome mate. But personally, the only reason I would ever go for a MacBook is because it not only looks sexy, but its small to carry around so you can get it out and show it off . As a student, I sometimes wish I bought the MacBook but I'm happy with my choice for a MBP.
I agree as being a student that the MBP sometimes seems to big, but when I am at home, I love having the extra screen space. I'm happy with my MBP!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

^^ x3

i miss my previous macbook, but i like my pro also just as much.

differences in each machine, make them both ideal i think

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
^^ x3

i miss my previous macbook, but i like my pro also just as much.

differences in each machine, make them both ideal i think
Ditto. IMHO the MacBooks are prettier and cooler. The MBP have an arguably better keyboard and of course the larger screen. Not everything is better in MBP-land, though, so you don't need to carry around that "shoulda woulda coulda" feeling if you keep the MB.

The specs and the price tags speak for themselves. (Although one thing that may not be apparent is the MBs don't have an ExressCard/34 (i.e., PCMCI) slot.)

/grass+otherside!==greener

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
joekix

joekix is on a distinguished road

i actually prefer the keyboard on mb. it feels better to me. i have a mbp, and my buddy has a mb, and i think i would have been just fine with a mb.

MacBook Pro 15 " 2.16 Intel C2D
Black Video IPOD 30GB
IPOD 2OGB
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

It really depends on your needs. As many others in this thread have said, if it's meeting your needs, why spend the extra money?

When I bought a PowerBook instead of an iBook, I did so because the specs were drastically different. I spent a lot more money, but the type of work I do required a higher-end machine.

When I decided to sell my PowerBook and upgrade to an Intel Mac, I was faced with a different situation. The MacBook Pro specs were better than the MacBook, but not in areas that affected me. I didn't plan on doing any intense video editing or 3D gaming, so the superior video capabilities weren't necessary. I also had no intention of upgrading to 3GB of RAM, or using the express slot.

So, I opted to buy the high-end MacBook. I maxed out the Memory (2GB), and eventually upgraded the Hard Drive (7200 RPM 100GB). As a result, I have a fantastic development machine that meets all of my needs.

Sorry for the long explanation. Just figured I'd share my own experiences.

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks
latinpride613

latinpride613 is on a distinguished road

These are all great opinions, you guys are great, gave everybody good reps! THANKS! Question though, can you upgrade to wireless N with the MBP? I paid with my discount 1468.00 for my macbook. now, minus 140 = 1328.00. I would be paying an extra 672.00 with tax to get it!! wow! Gotta really think about this. I am going to the apple store today and start playing with the MBP. Also...should I wait a few months to sell and upgrade or just right out return it and buy the MPB now? Been reading alot in this forum about a possible upgrade soon. I could always sell it as soon as I know something new IS coming out, right?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! What hardware to buy Networking | A good retail store for cheap RAM »