pixelmaven
    File association errors
    I got a hand-me-down 1997 Powerbook 1400 running MacOS 7.5.3, it works well enough, but seems to have a large number of file association errors.

.sit, .hqx, .txt, and .bin files all try to open through Netscape. I understand the logic in this, but once "downloaded" (from a CD or hard drive) the files do not open because the Netscape can't find the associated Mac program.

I can open some .sit files using an already open Stuffit and the files menu. But double clicking on a .sit file only get's me a funny look from my Mac.

There are quit a few errors of this type on this machine, but the OS is built like my Toyota. Drive like crazy, but there's nothing you can do to fix it.

Is there a way to change which file type opens which program?

bnw
    first...you should consider OS8 that machine can handle it if you have the ram maxed. Otherwise back up your book marks, trash your netscape prefs, restart, rebuild the desktop

try that

pixelmaven
    Quote Originally Posted by bnw
    first...you should consider OS8 that machine can handle it if you have the ram maxed. Otherwise back up your book marks, trash your netscape prefs, restart, rebuild the desktop

try that
    Thanks for the info. Figured out the re-build thing. Did some of the job.

Figured out the stiffit thing too. Double clicking still gets a bad responce but I can work around it.

I am a hugely experienced DOS and Windows user. Experience coming from having to constantly fix what's wrong with the damned things. I just assume that there is some script files which control this OS too.

Bottom line . . . It works.

StarManta
    Well I hope you can afford an OS X machine someday soon... personally I can't stand the classic MacOS's, but OSX is awesome.

pixelmaven
    A better Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by StarManta
    Well I hope you can afford an OS X machine someday soon... personally I can't stand the classic MacOS's, but OSX is awesome.
    Just got a free powerbook, not planning on permanent conversion.

I can build an XP machine with all the whistles for a little under three hundred. and all my expensive graphics software runs pretty zippy on it.

The Mac is nice, but I've been on computers since 1968 and don't like them easy.

Thread Information