New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - macbook won't shutdown, restart or go to sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Snowflake

Snowflake is on a distinguished road

Hi, I've got a black macbook intel core 2 duo and sometimes, for some reason, it just won't shutdown or even go to sleep.

Actually it won't go to sleep at all whatever method I use and when I try to shutdown or restart, it will quit OSX, get the blue log out screen and then there's this logo thing circling around like when powering up and then, well it just kinda gets stuck there, the logo keeps working but the macbook won't power off. I've waited for half an hour without result.

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

I would start by resetting the PRAM.

Press the power button and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key, Option key, P, and R keys simultaneously until you hear the startup sound a second time to reset the parameter RAM (PRAM).

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
Snowflake

alright i'll give it a try.

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

If it is under warranty, I suggest calling Apple. The person on the other line will coach you what to do realtime.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I had the same problem. There's a firmware fix-- if you get the machine to boot, run Software Update.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Snowflake! I'm sorry to hear about your MacBook trouble. I hope with what has been posted so far in this thread you can solve this.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

also, try force shutting down if all that doesnt work. (holding the power button down for about 10 seconds)

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Yeah try force shutting down. I did that once. It happened when I closed my MacBook then when I opened it, the screen remained black but the sounds still worked. Then I forced shut down.

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
Snowflake

Hi, sorry for not coming back at you guys sooner.
So here's a little feedback. All updates are on and stuff.

So, as long as I have my macbook on my desk, I can put it too sleep as much as i want, no problem. Can even use three ways, the apple menu, the keyboard shortcut or closing the lid.

Here's what happened today. Actually yesterday I unplugged my macbook, closed the lid, waited for the light to pulse slowly before putting it into its case. Today I get to school, open the lid, it wakes up, I try the alt+command+eject thing, doesn't work, try the apple menu, doesn't work, try closing the lid, doesn't work but when i open back my lid, it kinda shuts down. i have to press the power button for a few seconds for it to be truly shut down. then i power it up again and can put it to sleep without problem. i then get down thre levels in my school building try to wake up the thing and put it back to sleep, no problem. not a motion problem i guess.

however i have i tried once to move from my room to downstairs and it did bug.

may i add that i have a wireless mighty mouse that automatically connects to my macbook. i suspect the deconnection to be failing.

any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Hi, sorry for not coming back at you guys sooner.
So here's a little feedback. All updates are on and stuff.

So, as long as I have my macbook on my desk, I can put it too sleep as much as i want, no problem. Can even use three ways, the apple menu, the keyboard shortcut or closing the lid.

Here's what happened today. Actually yesterday I unplugged my macbook, closed the lid, waited for the light to pulse slowly before putting it into its case. Today I get to school, open the lid, it wakes up, I try the alt+command+eject thing, doesn't work, try the apple menu, doesn't work, try closing the lid, doesn't work but when i open back my lid, it kinda shuts down. i have to press the power button for a few seconds for it to be truly shut down. then i power it up again and can put it to sleep without problem. i then get down thre levels in my school building try to wake up the thing and put it back to sleep, no problem. not a motion problem i guess.

however i have i tried once to move from my room to downstairs and it did bug.

may i add that i have a wireless mighty mouse that automatically connects to my macbook. i suspect the deconnection to be failing.

any ideas?
I still suggest you call Apple if your computer is still under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

please disregard this post ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Price Reduced at Crucial | Anyone has a soft case or soft bag. »