New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Power Supply was just on fire!?!?!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gekrecords

gekrecords is on a distinguished road

OMG!

I called Apple yesterday because my magsafe adapter wasn't charging my MacBookPro. There seemed to be a bit of charring on one of the pins on the power adapter side of the magsafe connector (the side with the LED).

The problem was intermittent, and they told me to try cleaning the contacts, which I did... but it would still only charge every once in a while. They are sending me another power supply now, but I didn't think, nor did they tell me not to use it.

Well, i just took my MBP out of my bag, and plugged it in... and it worked. Then I smell something burning, and I look at the power brick itself, and there is literally a flame coming from the cable, and my carpet is smoking too right there.

What should I do here? Am I wrong to think that I am entitled to a little something more than being without my computer till April 6th while they mail me a power supply?

I mean, heck, my house could have burned down if I didn't catch it..
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

This is unfortunately, not an isolated incident. I've read about several other cases where if the cable jacket is damaged, resulting in a short, the cord or the adapter will catch fire. Did you happen to notice if the cable was damaged while you were troubleshooting the original problem of the adapter only intermittently charging?

Either way, if you read the reviews of the MagSafe adapter on the Apple Store website, you'll see plenty of cases of this sort of thing happening. My guess is that the jacket is just not robust enough to handle the bumps and bruises of regular travel and/or rigorous usage. It is definitely a design flaw and my hope would be that Apple would compensate you in some way for the damage.

I use my Mac at both work and at home, so this was a deciding factor for me in whether to purchase a second adapter so that I wasn't constantly having to travel with it and wrap up the cable.

I'm glad to hear that your home wasn't damaged and that the fire was relatively isolated.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i've heard these sorts of stories too. i treat mine as gently as i treat my macbook itself.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

mine was frayed on the mag safe end... and to prevent a fire I stopped using it when I noticed it... called apple (it was still functioning though) and told them about it... this was about 8pm EST they said they would send me a new one by 10am EST the next day I had a new one at my door. I would call apple and ask them to expedite your order to tell them that you are now with out any power and see what they will do for you.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

im wondering how long apple will wait to replace everyones magsafe.

seems like its name should be changed at least, the "magunsafe"

i think ill start putting my brick on a desk. dont want the carpet to go.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
im wondering how long apple will wait to replace everyones magsafe.

seems like its name should be changed at least, the "magunsafe"

i think ill start putting my brick on a desk. dont want the carpet to go.
I would say just keep an eye on the cable. If you have pets that like to chew on cords, keep them away from it. And if you see any cracks or splits in the jacket, stop using it.

I do wish that Apple would come out with an updated design that has a much heavier duty cable jacket.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
stevenyc

stevenyc can only hope to improve

Will they make a commercial in which Justin Long catches on fire?
QUOTE Thanks
gekrecords

gekrecords is on a distinguished road

We were troubleshooting the original problem, the charring on the magsafe end, and the periodic non-charging.

They never told me not to use the adapter again.

I called them today, and after sitting through a 1.5 hour question answering session, they said that they would call me back within 4 hours.

It has been about 3.5 hours now, and I am not happy at all.

What a shame, I have been a loyal apple user since OS9 days. I was hoping this wouldn't happen to me, I didn't want to be forced to believe the fire horror stories.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Wow, that sucks, if mine ever caught fire it woudl burn the whole house down since it's behind my desk and I can't see it...not to mention i'm not home half of the time (at school doing work) and all my roomates are usually upstairs.

Scary stuff, I guess all I can do is just hope it doesn't happen. Actually I think i'm going to move my adater on top of a tub so it's not on the carpet.
QUOTE Thanks
Smell The Glove

Smell The Glove will become famous soon enough

As somebody who is looking to purchase the MBP, this is one big concern for me. I travel all the time and it's not unusual at all for me to leave my laptop plugged in overnight or while I go out for lunch/dinner. Last thing I need is to set fire to the house or hotel.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The few reports I've seen on this issue, the people involved have not explained how they unplug the cord from the laptop. Do they have a habit of pulling on the cord or do they firmly disconnec using the hard plastic shell. Pulling on the cord is asking for trouble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In the Conference Room | Forced restart after opening lid... »