New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - ibook G3 clamshell 466mhz Panther

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vedder10

vedder10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive

I have and ibook that I just purchased off of ebay that I have several issues with. First the cmos battery is bad because the computer will not hold the time and date. Is this easy to change in these computers? Second I cannot get any sound out of this ibook. I have checked system preferences and all volume is up and not muted. Cannot get any sound even when I play dvd. Third and last I cannot get this thing connected to my comcast cable modem so that I can surf. I enable dhcp for automatic but safari just says error site cannot be found. I am a windows user trying to make an effort to learn about macs so that maybe I can make the switch. I am still within the 10 day grace period that the seller gave me so I can send it back. Should I or are all of these issue worth trying to fix?
QUOTE Thanks
Rtas09

Rtas09 is an unknown at this point

Ok..first off you got bought this mac off ebay, im not saying ebay is bad but it aint perfect, i know this cause i do occasionly buy stuff off there, anywayz getting back to your ibook. first off you have to no the version ure using, there are 3 currently, jaguar, panther, tiger. once u no this get the install cd's for ure mac and reinstall mac, also u will need another battery because the battery u have has been overcharaged and will not hold enouph space.
it wont connect to ure internet because maybe some of the preferences are changed so thats why u should Re-install the mac system u have. its best to get tiger if u dont have it already. the sound is because the guy probally doesnt have a good sound card in there so i suggest u get a new one, get a cheap one or expensive one for $400-900 maybe round about there not quite sure.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder10 View Post
I am still within the 10 day grace period that the seller gave me so I can send it back. Should I or are all of these issue worth trying to fix?
If none of those issues were listed in the auction, then I would probably send it back.
They are fixable, but if you were promised a fully functional machine, then you should have received such.
Check with your seller first.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 - Screen after sleep mode | Doh! I disabled my remote, now I want to use it. »