New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Unable to safely eject sandisk 2GB cruzer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gvijaypurkar

gvijaypurkar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb

Hi, Kind of new to the mac world. Had my macbook for a month now. I have a sandisk 2GB cruzer that when mounted shows me both the u3 drive and a no name disk on the mac. When I try to eject the no name, the u3 stays and I cannot eject it. Same strory when I try to eject the u3 first and the no name disk after that. No other option but to shut down the mac and then remove it.

Does anyone else have this issue. I don't want to get rid of the u3 since i use it to launch work outlook with my pst file on my xp desktop.

This is the only thing that doesn's work well so far.. On my xp desktop, I get both the drives to eject simultaneously. Any help appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

odd that it shows up twice. no usb drive i have does that, they all show up as one ejectable device (in finder and on the desktop).

can you post a screenshot?

also, have you tried emptying the trash before ejecting?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
gvijaypurkar

gvijaypurkar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb

Thanks for your reply Eric.

I am at work and will post a screenshot in the evening. In finder, I can see two icons (No name and the u3). Same on the desktop. I will try clearing out the trash but I didn't delete anything. In fact, when I try ejecting the second icon, it says it is still in use.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

you may have tried this already, but does selecting them both and ejecting them at the same time make any difference.

They may (for some reason, I'm not expert) count each other as being in use, so if they're both ejected at the same time, this may overcome it. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here

Just make sure you close all documents that may be stored on it, and just to be doubly sure, quit any apps that were launched from the docs stored on the drive. Select them both, and drag onto the trash or hit apple+e.

Also, I find that if there's ever a delay in a drive ejecting, I find that clicking the drive once on the desktop, and then deselecting it, almost always, instantly ejects the drive, with no further troubles or delays. This has worked for external HDs, my iPod and other devices, both at home and at uni on a range of macs.

QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Sounds odd, but have you tried running the U3 drive on a WinPC and uninstalling the U3 software/drive? Link below
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1415

It maybe the fact that it's partitioned differently thats causing the problems, as you should be aware U3 is not supported by Mac, cause we have some if not most of the features already in the OS.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I have a 4Gb USB drive which shows up as 2 drives, as it uses one "drive" for password protection,IIRC - it's FAT32, formatting it as HFS+ would destroy the password protection.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

you could always add a protected disk image (dmg file) if you wanted password protection under HFS+. i think his issue is more with his outlook/pst file. it may just be time for two distinct flash drives.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

follow symondavis's post.

i have a cruzer that was having the same issues. it just have to remove the software. basically what you are doing is deleting the partition its on, and creating one big one.

after this, itll eject fine

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I have no problems ejecting my cruzer with U3 by highlighting both the White disk image and the U3 CD Image and dragging them both to the trash

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
I have no problems ejecting my cruzer with U3 by highlighting both the White disk image and the U3 CD Image and dragging them both to the trash
Ditto with both my 512Meg and 1GB Memorex U3's Just grab both icons and throw them in the trash. If that does not work, something is wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

i also have a cruzer and i will just drag both items onto the trash and then take it out... it has never done anything to it and im almost positive i read somewhere thasts what u have to do
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Book with CRT display? | How safe is Magsafe? »