New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Backlight goes off when ibook is open past 60 degrees. Advice?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sanfordphoto

I am new to this forum so, Hello!

I have a 12” g3 ibook snow with a dual usb and 500mhz processor.

Every time I open the book up past about 60 degrees the backlight on the screen clicks off and will not turn back on, unless I restart the machine.

I am wondering if this is a common problem what might I need to do to fix it? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks for your time!

Sanford
:eek:
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

that's a new one for me. haven't heard anyone with quite the same problem. so I don't know...don't open your screen past 60 degrees?....heeh.

try reparing disk permissions...or look under your energy saver...or go to an apple retailer...or call apple....

someone else will probably come along and be of more help.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would take it in and have it checked. You may have a lose wire or something.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Tune280

Take it back to the shop it seems like a wire or somethnik missing im sure they will fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
sanfordphoto

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm really interested in trying to fix this myself. I brought this to an apple store and they gave me a rough guess at $300 to fix it. I think that price is crazy!

I noticed that the screen doesn't open all that smoothly and think it might be something simple. Any other thoughts!

Thanks again,
Sanford
QUOTE Thanks
adam taylor

hmm, id go with the loose wire theory i think,

once it has switched off, do the brightness buttons do anything?

also where is the switch that turns the screen off when closed? does teh screen actually switch off when you close it? maybe the switch is in the hinge and has come unstuck?

other than that, im all out. good luck and let us know what happens. Adam
QUOTE Thanks
sanfordphoto

Thanks Adam.

< Once it has switched off, do the brightness buttons do anything?>

No the buttons do not do anything.

Really, just the backlight turns off, as the screen is still slightly visible after the ibook is opened past 60 degrees. This problem never changes and remains constant.

I’m guessing it’s a simple cable issue (pinched or pulled) as the hinges are really very tight. When I open the ibook its not fluid, more like it needs a good hit of wd40.

Does anyone have a good vender they would recommend for the parts?

Thanks again,
sanford schulwolf

Sanfordphoto.com
QUOTE Thanks
nr-media

Sounds like the wire powering the CCFL (they're like tiny bulbs in the LCD) is loose or there is a short in the wire. You probably won't need a new part. It may just be a simple loose connection at the harness or a short in the wire which a simple splice and solder will fix. Its a pretty easy repair for a laptop repair tech.
QUOTE Thanks
adam taylor

how did this pan out?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

don't take it to the apple store, just take it to any notebook/laptop techie you have near you and ask him to take a look...

Or if you're brave take that sucker apart yourself, my gf's pc notebook had a similar problem, so i took it apart (a bit) and then noticed the ribbon cable from the graphics card to the screen wasn't in all the way, pushed it in and fixed it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best 3rd party ram? | Almost about to make the switch, have a question still. »