New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Amazingly Frustrated...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
WhiskeyRunner

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2007
Posts: 2
WhiskeyRunner is an unknown at this point

WhiskeyRunner is offline
I am a first time Apple customer, but an old-timer with UNIX. The thing is, I purchased a MacBook Pro on Sunday but for some odd reason - I have never been so frustrated in my life.

Let me give you all a recap of my first week with a MacBook Pro.

Sunday - Spent 3100$ getting everything I needed for my first Mac Experience. On Sunday - everything was supposably working fine. I had no problems what so ever.

Monday - Monday morning I woke up and booted up my MacBook, it prompted me to update so I did. After installing the updates I got a Kernel Panic, once I rebooted I reinstalled the update and things were fine.

Tuesday - After waking up Tuesday morning I booted up the mac book but it took an unusually long amount of time to boot. But it got into OS X and I was able to do my days work for about two hours. Suddenly, a Kernel Panic - machine rebooted and I was greeted by an extraordinary long load time followed by the lovely DARWIN screen. Just a big, black screen streaming errors every few seconds with the prompt login and password.

So I reformatted after attempting to fix it, and most would assume everything was fixed.

Wednesday - After arriving at work I cracked the MacBook Pro open and began to work. All was well and suddenly boom , kernel panic. I WASN'T EVEN TYPING ALL I HAD DONE WAS OPEN WORD. And mind you, Word did open just fine. So - I rebooted and got back in. About 30 minutes later, boom - safari crashed and I went to report it and wow! Again another Kernel Panic and voila shutdown. Upon reboot - OS X didn't even boot, it threw me right into a Darwin screen with no errors and I was dumbfounded. So I completely erased the disk, did hardware checks, everything you could think of - and I was unable to pinpoint ANY sign of ANY problems. So I reinstalled OS X and clenched my teeth carrying on.

Thursday - Booted up OS X to be greeted by all my programs suddenly starting then crashing - for no reason. Programs would appear to start but then wouldn't. They'd just bounce there like a jack-russel terrier and then proceed to stare blankly back at me. So I opened up Spotlight and typed in console to see what was going wrong. Spotlight opened, but no matter what I typed it wouldn't even attempt to process it. So I forced Finder to quit and relaunch and upon doing so, it just got stuck in an endless loop of crashing and relaunching. Restarted, boom - Darwin screen.

Friday - After reinstalling OS X AGAIN with an APPLE TECHNICIAN PRESENT AT MY HOME yesterday I figured things HAD to work. At this point I was tired, frustrated, and more so than I've ever been before - dying to go back to my PC, (Which by the way is running Vista and is twice the performance of my OS X machine). So, as it was - everything booted fine and I began making my user account - as I finished I hit "Finish" to go to the desktop. And as I did, boom - Kernel Panic. The whole system just died. ... I booted up into OS X again, got on the desktop and things were working Okay for the most part. I was prompted to update and did so. OS X 10.4.9 installed fine, then suddenly boom kernel Panic. This is how I've been all morning - now I am thinking this whole Mac thing isn't worth it anymore, that I might just go buy myself a cheaper and more powerful Laptop running Vista.

I've done NOTHING wrong. Oh, and I had a Kernel Panic while typing this, so I had to restart.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

 
ToddG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 27, 2006
Posts: 2,073
ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

ToddG is offline
It's almost certainly a bad memory stick. I'm amazed the Apple Technician (they make house calls for notebooks?) didn't check that. This article has some good advice as well as a pointer to a great little application that can test your memory for you.

Did you buy the MBP new or used?
Is the memory in it genuine Apple memory installed at the factory, or did someone (you?) install additional memory?

Acting like this is some kind of "Windows is better than OS X" thing is silly. You cannot honestly believe that is normal behavior for a Mac. This forum would be crashing daily with all the complaints if that were the case. Perhaps you got a lemon and if that makes you want to go back to PC's, that's completely your right. You need to get a computer that works for you.
QUOTE Thanks
WhiskeyRunner

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2007
Posts: 2
WhiskeyRunner is an unknown at this point

WhiskeyRunner is offline
I don't know why - but I was almost expecting this kind of behaviour. The last mac I used was an OS 8 machine and I hated it, I love OS X - but this kind of behaviour is unacceptable. I'm taking it back to the mac store and getting it replaced totally. New MacBook Pro all together.

Thing is, I've never had a problem with my PC's, I've built every machine myself and never had a problem - but when I use OS X I can't help but feel I'm standing on top of a playing card structure. It might look great, but is terribly unstable. Maybe it is a bad memory module - hopefully it will be fixed and I can go back to enjoying OS x.

Thanks for the fast reply.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

 
ToddG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 27, 2006
Posts: 2,073
ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

ToddG is offline
Have you (or anyone else) added memory to the machine since it was manufactured?

As I said, I don't think you can call OS X unstable ... especially compared to the various flavors of Windows. You aren't having an OS X issue. You're having a hardware issue, most likely a memory one but it could be a funky drive or who knows what else. But OS X runs solidly for countless people every day.

Hopefully, one way or another you'll get a MBP in your hands that is working properly and you'll have a chance to assess OS X for yourself. You still may not like it as much as Windows but at least you'll be able to give it a fair assessment.

Best luck ...
QUOTE Thanks
indapino22

 
indapino22's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2007
Posts: 138
indapino22 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd

indapino22 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
It's almost certainly a bad memory stick. I'm amazed the Apple Technician (they make house calls for notebooks?) didn't check that. This article has some good advice as well as a pointer to a great little application that can test your memory for you.

Did you buy the MBP new or used?
Is the memory in it genuine Apple memory installed at the factory, or did someone (you?) install additional memory?

Acting like this is some kind of "Windows is better than OS X" thing is silly. You cannot honestly believe that is normal behavior for a Mac. This forum would be crashing daily with all the complaints if that were the case. Perhaps you got a lemon and if that makes you want to go back to PC's, that's completely your right. You need to get a computer that works for you.

i dont think his mbp would be used he says he spent $3100
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

 
Stretch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 4,779
Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Stretch is offline
I'm with Todd on this one, sounds like a hardware issue.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

If you can, pop in the OS Install Disk (DVD I would think) that came with your Mac, restart holding down the D key and run the Hardware Test in Extended Mode. It will check all the hardware and should report what is wrong. But if it's an intermittent problem, it could over look it.

But I'm with the guys: looks like bad RAM or something wrong with a hardware component to me as well.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,567
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRunner View Post
I don't know why - but I was almost expecting this kind of behaviour. The last mac I used was an OS 8 machine and I hated it, I love OS X - but this kind of behaviour is unacceptable. I'm taking it back to the mac store and getting it replaced totally. New MacBook Pro all together.

Thing is, I've never had a problem with my PC's, I've built every machine myself and never had a problem - but when I use OS X I can't help but feel I'm standing on top of a playing card structure. It might look great, but is terribly unstable. Maybe it is a bad memory module - hopefully it will be fixed and I can go back to enjoying OS x.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Well, OS 8 was definitely a basket case, which is the reason Apple scrapped that kernal and moved over to Darwin. OS X, being built on top of FreeBSD is rock solid. I agree with the others' assessment of faulty memory and the recommendation of trying the Apple Hardware Test.

I guess my only question is - why switch if you were so pleased with Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyfive

 
Jonnyfive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 328
Jonnyfive has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

Jonnyfive is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRunner View Post
I don't know why - but I was almost expecting this kind of behaviour. The last mac I used was an OS 8 machine and I hated it, I love OS X - but this kind of behaviour is unacceptable. I'm taking it back to the mac store and getting it replaced totally. New MacBook Pro all together.

Thing is, I've never had a problem with my PC's, I've built every machine myself and never had a problem - but when I use OS X I can't help but feel I'm standing on top of a playing card structure. It might look great, but is terribly unstable. Maybe it is a bad memory module - hopefully it will be fixed and I can go back to enjoying OS x.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Good! I know that's exactly what I would do. That's not the way it's supposed to work and someone needs to make it right, right away.

White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

 
Member Since: May 27, 2006
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 445
karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

karudzo is offline
OS X is certainly not unstable- it sounds to me, as well, like it's hardware related. I've had FreeBSD boxes go 80+ days without a reboot with no stability issues.
QUOTE Thanks
traded

 
traded's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 157
traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

traded is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRunner View Post
I am a first time Apple customer, but an old-timer with UNIX. The thing is, I purchased a MacBook Pro on Sunday but for some odd reason - I have never been so frustrated in my life.

Let me give you all a recap of my first week with a MacBook Pro.

Sunday - Spent 3100$ getting everything I needed for my first Mac Experience. On Sunday - everything was supposably working fine. I had no problems what so ever.

Monday - Monday morning I woke up and booted up my MacBook, it prompted me to update so I did. After installing the updates I got a Kernel Panic, once I rebooted I reinstalled the update and things were fine.

Tuesday - After waking up Tuesday morning I booted up the mac book but it took an unusually long amount of time to boot. But it got into OS X and I was able to do my days work for about two hours. Suddenly, a Kernel Panic - machine rebooted and I was greeted by an extraordinary long load time followed by the lovely DARWIN screen. Just a big, black screen streaming errors every few seconds with the prompt login and password.

So I reformatted after attempting to fix it, and most would assume everything was fixed.

Wednesday - After arriving at work I cracked the MacBook Pro open and began to work. All was well and suddenly boom , kernel panic. I WASN'T EVEN TYPING ALL I HAD DONE WAS OPEN WORD. And mind you, Word did open just fine. So - I rebooted and got back in. About 30 minutes later, boom - safari crashed and I went to report it and wow! Again another Kernel Panic and voila shutdown. Upon reboot - OS X didn't even boot, it threw me right into a Darwin screen with no errors and I was dumbfounded. So I completely erased the disk, did hardware checks, everything you could think of - and I was unable to pinpoint ANY sign of ANY problems. So I reinstalled OS X and clenched my teeth carrying on.

Thursday - Booted up OS X to be greeted by all my programs suddenly starting then crashing - for no reason. Programs would appear to start but then wouldn't. They'd just bounce there like a jack-russel terrier and then proceed to stare blankly back at me. So I opened up Spotlight and typed in console to see what was going wrong. Spotlight opened, but no matter what I typed it wouldn't even attempt to process it. So I forced Finder to quit and relaunch and upon doing so, it just got stuck in an endless loop of crashing and relaunching. Restarted, boom - Darwin screen.

Friday - After reinstalling OS X AGAIN with an APPLE TECHNICIAN PRESENT AT MY HOME yesterday I figured things HAD to work. At this point I was tired, frustrated, and more so than I've ever been before - dying to go back to my PC, (Which by the way is running Vista and is twice the performance of my OS X machine). So, as it was - everything booted fine and I began making my user account - as I finished I hit "Finish" to go to the desktop. And as I did, boom - Kernel Panic. The whole system just died. ... I booted up into OS X again, got on the desktop and things were working Okay for the most part. I was prompted to update and did so. OS X 10.4.9 installed fine, then suddenly boom kernel Panic. This is how I've been all morning - now I am thinking this whole Mac thing isn't worth it anymore, that I might just go buy myself a cheaper and more powerful Laptop running Vista.

I've done NOTHING wrong. Oh, and I had a Kernel Panic while typing this, so I had to restart.
let me first say I feel for you and totally see that your experience really sucks and its not surprising why it frustrates you so much. I do however, hope that you hear that most of us have great experiences with Macs and it looks like you have a unique, pain in the butt problem...but ultimately an isolated problem. It just happens sometimes.
good luck friend.
-d
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

 
xstep's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2005
Location: On the road
Posts: 3,231
xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

xstep is offline
Exchange it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

 
Kash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 03, 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 9,385
Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Kash is offline
You should know that kernel panics aren't the same as BSODs in Windows. With Windows, a program or even the operating system crashing can result in a BSOD. In OS X, a kernel panic is generally the result of a hardware fault. So it has nothing to do with the stability of the operating system or the programs you are running, but rather, it has to do with the fact that some piece of hardware in your MBP is faulty.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a terrible start with a Mac, especially after dropping over 3 grand on the machine. If I were you, I would definitely go back to the Apple Store and get it replaced as what you have is a lemon. It's not even worth trying to diagnose. You paid 3 grand for it, you deserve to get a computer that works perfect from the moment you turn it on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« MacBook owners : Have you regretted your choice of the MacBook over Pro? | Has 10.4.9 affected volume keys F3, F4 and F5 »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
getting frustrated, need a hand sicklyscott Switcher Hangout 4 01-19-2007 09:04 PM
Apple Refurb prices are amazingly low right now mynameis Schweb's Lounge 0 10-23-2005 05:43 PM
One Very Frustrated new Mac member AdamH87 OS X - Apps and Games 6 08-17-2005 01:04 PM
Frustrated n00b (long) ronlp Switcher Hangout 16 08-19-2004 12:07 PM
Frustrated with images in email frankm Switcher Hangout 1 02-04-2004 09:33 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?