New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook power adapter making "noise," is it normal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBarbier

JBarbier is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb

Hey guys, all's been well with my Macbook, but I've started to notice that my power adapter makes a really strange electrical "hissing" sound and it gets really warm when charging my MB. I don't know if it has been doing this prior to my noticing it, or if it's normal, but I was wondering if anyone else notices the same thing with theirs. I happened to notice it while my adapter was lying on the couch next to me and I kept hearing an electrical buzzing or hissing sound emanating from it. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

A power brick making hissing noises is NOT normal. That is a sure sign of a power supply failing. I HIGHLY recommend you get it replaced ASAP. If you continue using it, it WILL fry and most probably take your Macbook with it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

I know they always seem to run hot.... but hissing? not so much
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

yes, it is normal. its converting power in that little box.

whoever says its not insane. ANY power brick ive EVER had has done this.

internal PSU do the exact same thing.

now if you can hear it 3 houses down, its abnormal
but if it pretty much takes a few feet away to hear it, its fine.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Well mine doesn't hiss or get hot. So what's wrong with mine?
QUOTE Thanks
onecrazycowgirl

onecrazycowgirl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano

Mine only does it when it's plugged into a certain outlet, and it does it even if it's plugged into a power strip that's plugged into that specific outlet. I've had some minor power supply problems - my school's laptop center took care of them, since it's a school-issued computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
No, that's NOT normal. I have seen hundreds of power bricks for laptops and other electronics, and none of the normal working ones made noise that you could hear from more than a few inches away.

The only way I can hear my Macbook's power adapter is if I stick it right next to my ear. I move it 6 inches away, and I can't hear it making noise anymore. So if the OP can hear it while it's sitting next to her, presumably several inches/feet away, then I would have to say it's louder than normal.

Onecrazycowgirl, if you've had a laptop's power supply go bad on you before, I would have to say it's a pretty good chance that your socket is about to ruin your Macbook's too.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
yes, it is normal. its converting power in that little box.

whoever says its not insane. ANY power brick ive EVER had has done this.

internal PSU do the exact same thing.

now if you can hear it 3 houses down, its abnormal
Agree, I have seen all different brand of power packs make this exact same sound, many did it bran new and are still doing it to this day several years later.

My MacBook power pack only makes a sound when charging under load.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speaker problems on New MacBook Pro | not booting »