New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook specific reinstall CDs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Arichards

Arichards is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

Can anyone tell me if the macbook reinstall CD's are model specific. That is, I couldn't use my imacs installation CDs to fix my macbook? I've tried reinstalling everything from my intel imacs cds (osx tiger) and I get this error message after choosing a language that says I can't install from those CD's.

Anyone tried what I'm trying to do and had any results?

Should I just wait for leopard to come out and do a freash install from that?

Thanks,

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

The CDs that come with a Mac are model specific. You cant use an iMacs CDs on a MacBook.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

as stretchR said they are model specific.. I have tried in the past to do what you are doing and it wont work.. you can do two things.. one, buy the disc(s) from apple (1800-my-apple). or you can try to find them on ebay. its a long shot but ebay would be cheaper than apple.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Yes they are model specific.....I bought mine off ebay with a good saving.
QUOTE Thanks
Arichards

Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

what are the price ranges from apple?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichards View Post
what are the price ranges from apple?
You can't buy OS X DVD's from Apple for use in intel mac's yet. If your OS X DVD's aren't working they will probably replace them for you

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
AliLaPointe

AliLaPointe is on a distinguished road

Hey Arichards,

Where in Mass do you live? I just got my macbook, its an intel core duo with a combo drive. If you want, you can come by and we can give it a shot. I live in Waltham and study at Brandeis University. Let me know, my AIM is xAliLaPointex
QUOTE Thanks
Arichards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliLaPointe View Post
Hey Arichards,

Where in Mass do you live? I just got my macbook, its an intel core duo with a combo drive. If you want, you can come by and we can give it a shot. I live in Waltham and study at Brandeis University. Let me know, my AIM is xAliLaPointex
I called the Apple Store today, and they told me that it would cost $30 to get new disks. Since my macbook still runs really fast and smooth, I think what I'm going to do is just wait until leopard comes out and do a fresh install from that.

Thanks a lot for the offer though.

Also, I go to school down in Dallas, Texas, and I'm leaving tommorow, so setting up a visit would be difficult.

Thanks again though.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichards View Post
I called the Apple Store today, and they told me that it would cost $30 to get new disks. Since my macbook still runs really fast and smooth, I think what I'm going to do is just wait until leopard comes out and do a fresh install from that.

Thanks a lot for the offer though.

Also, I go to school down in Dallas, Texas, and I'm leaving tommorow, so setting up a visit would be difficult.

Thanks again though.
thats pretty typical.. I paid $35 for two imac restore discs with shipping.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Constant hard drive activity, please stop!! | Button on the Bottom »