Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Macbook specific reinstall CDs? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/56035-macbook-specific-reinstall-cds.html)

Arichards 03-11-2007 06:45 PM

Macbook specific reinstall CDs?

Can anyone tell me if the macbook reinstall CD's are model specific. That is, I couldn't use my imacs installation CDs to fix my macbook? I've tried reinstalling everything from my intel imacs cds (osx tiger) and I get this error message after choosing a language that says I can't install from those CD's.

Anyone tried what I'm trying to do and had any results?

Should I just wait for leopard to come out and do a freash install from that?

Thanks,

Alex

Stretch 03-11-2007 06:47 PM

The CDs that come with a Mac are model specific. You cant use an iMacs CDs on a MacBook.

KoDorSean 03-11-2007 06:56 PM

as stretchR said they are model specific.. I have tried in the past to do what you are doing and it wont work.. you can do two things.. one, buy the disc(s) from apple (1800-my-apple). or you can try to find them on ebay. its a long shot but ebay would be cheaper than apple.

MaDDoG 03-11-2007 07:25 PM

Yes they are model specific.....I bought mine off ebay with a good saving.

Arichards 03-11-2007 11:51 PM

what are the price ranges from apple?

trpnmonkey41 03-11-2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arichards (Post 346491)
what are the price ranges from apple?

You can't buy OS X DVD's from Apple for use in intel mac's yet. If your OS X DVD's aren't working they will probably replace them for you

AliLaPointe 03-12-2007 07:45 PM

Massachussets?

Hey Arichards,

Where in Mass do you live? I just got my macbook, its an intel core duo with a combo drive. If you want, you can come by and we can give it a shot. I live in Waltham and study at Brandeis University. Let me know, my AIM is xAliLaPointex

Arichards 03-12-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliLaPointe (Post 346997)
Hey Arichards,

Where in Mass do you live? I just got my macbook, its an intel core duo with a combo drive. If you want, you can come by and we can give it a shot. I live in Waltham and study at Brandeis University. Let me know, my AIM is xAliLaPointex

I called the Apple Store today, and they told me that it would cost $30 to get new disks. Since my macbook still runs really fast and smooth, I think what I'm going to do is just wait until leopard comes out and do a fresh install from that.

Thanks a lot for the offer though.

Also, I go to school down in Dallas, Texas, and I'm leaving tommorow, so setting up a visit would be difficult.

Thanks again though.

KoDorSean 03-12-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arichards (Post 347087)
I called the Apple Store today, and they told me that it would cost $30 to get new disks. Since my macbook still runs really fast and smooth, I think what I'm going to do is just wait until leopard comes out and do a fresh install from that.

Thanks a lot for the offer though.

Also, I go to school down in Dallas, Texas, and I'm leaving tommorow, so setting up a visit would be difficult.

Thanks again though.

thats pretty typical.. I paid $35 for two imac restore discs with shipping.