Lightbulb installing a better graphics card possible?
    Hello everybody!

This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle :dummy:

I absolutely fell in love with macs, and i was thinking of buying a Macbook. i do have a couple of questions though:

1.) the graphics card is an important issue to me. i'm not a heavy gamer, but it would be nice if the card was more powerful. is it possible to install a different one? perhaps from the macbook pro?

2.) what about the 13.3" screen? i'm currently working on a Belinea 17" CRT monitor and i'm a bit squeamish with the macbook screen being so small. is it difficult to get used to it? what about watching DVD's on it?

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    I sounds very much like you don't want a macbook at all, but a macbook pro. There are only a handful of laptops in existence with upgradable graphics cards, and none of them are Macs.

So, get the Macbook Pro - it already has a 17" screen and it already has the better graphics card.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilobrkster View Post
    1.) the graphics card is an important issue to me. i'm not a heavy gamer, but it would be nice if the card was more powerful. is it possible to install a different one? perhaps from the macbook pro?
    In MacBooks, the graphic card is built-in. You cannot change/replace it. MBP has an extra graphic card and I don't think you can change it without loosing your Apple guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilobrkster View Post
    2.) what about the 13.3" screen? i'm currently working on a Belinea 17" CRT monitor and i'm a bit squeamish with the macbook screen being so small. is it difficult to get used to it? what about watching DVD's on it?
    Watching DVDs could be daunting if you do it outside (depending on the lighting). However you can always connect an external monitor. You can even use your good old CRT.

The thing is, I want a mac, and a Mackbook Pro is just too expensive for me here in Croatia where I live. I cry my heart out every time I go to apple.com and look at the prices. for example:

17" Macbook pro

USA = $ 2800
    Croatia = $ 4300

:radioacti :radioacti :radioacti

so since i have an uncle in Germany, i thought of buying something there, and the Macbook fits perfectly in my budget

Specs:
    See Signature
    Do you need the portibility? Cause, the lowest imac is cheaper than a macbook

portability is a bonus for sure but it's also easier to bring in the country. my uncles son (my cousin) could simply fly to croatia for a visit and bring the macbook with him as his laptop, and he won't pay any customs fees because he is a german national. on the way back he can simply say that it broke and he threw it away in the trash. on the other hand, if I as a croatian national flew to germany and came back I would have to pay customs fees. :radioacti

Thread Information