New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chip

chip is on a distinguished road

I currently am a windows user and run Avid liquid 7.

I am seriously looking at moving over to Apple. And will go with Final Cut Express and 17inch MacBook pro (2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

Is anyone using this setup and what results are you having?
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

hey chip! WELCOME TO MAC FORUMS!!!

First of all, I'm going to say that I have a 15" MacBook Pro, but I don't do video editing. I AM going to so say, though, that Macs are VERY FAST and solid machines. They are extremely stable, and they wont crash unless you put them in REDICULOUS circumstances (and I *mean* REDICULOUS!).
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

macs crash, even without ridiculous circumstances. its nature of the beast.

now that said. they crash much less than any windows pc ive owned. Why? easy. apple makes the software to work with their hardware.

of course no PC company can do this because, well lets face it, they dont make the OS, Mr Gates sell it to em

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
plpete

plpete is on a distinguished road

i do video editing on my mbp that i recently purchased. i got a 15in 2ghz cd version with 256mb of ram and 1gig of ram (for now). i edit with final cut studio and its great. everything works fast even with my core duo. i think more ram is more beneficial here than faster processor. if you are into editng and used avid i highly suggest that you obtain final cut pro studio and not the express version. you will find it very limiting soon. good luck with your decission.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

I have a 15" 1.83ghz core duo with 2GB of RAM.
The RAM is more important than anything. But all these machines are very very good for standard definition video editing. If you want to do high definition at a good speed you might want a macpro.
I started with final cut express, and then moved up to pro because it was offered to me. There is almost no difference. If you only want to do basic editing express is identical. If you do pro stuff involving complicated timecode stuff then you should go for pro. I've started doing more timecode editing, and it can be nice, but you will never miss it in express.
Other than that express is only missing a few things regarding video effects and audio editing.
Unless you are editing high def or need pro features, final cut is not worth the extra $$$. I would not of upgraded unless it had been offered to me.
You will be very happy with a MBP and FCE. Very amazing program and machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PS2 MBPro ?! | Just bought Macbook, now what? »