New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - **New Macbook** superdrive problems, please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tears2040

tears2040 can only hope to improve

I just bought a new macbook ( refurbished) & when ever I'm importing a cd through itunes even if it has the slightest scratch the cd will start skipping & freeze itunes.

I can't imagine that a refurbished computer could leave apples gates & still have problems.

I'm trying so hard to be calm, but I'm about to blow!!

Could anyone give me suggestions on what i should do?

Just for reference I can play all these cd's fines in stereo players, etc. put through the macbooks superdrive some songs will simply not play.

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to send my macbook in, ah man!!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

all hardware has the possibility of being bad, switching to apple isn't a cure all. but since this is a refurb, it could have an issue. it may indeed be a bum drive. it could be worse, but it is a pain to have to send something back.

if you have an apple store nearby, you may want to bring the macbook in with one of the cds this always happens with.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
tears2040

tears2040 can only hope to improve

I undersatnd that but, do you have a cd hat has scratches on it that the superdrive won'tplay.

I mean it seems like the cd has to be flawless in order for it play/rip & if it has scratches it just freezes.

I've been able to download rip most of my songs but always at least 1 or 2 just don't make it.

Now returning it in would'nt be a problem if I was'nt overseas ( japan) and in the military.

So my basic question is does you macbook drive play/rip cd's even if they have scratches on them

, peace
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

the superdrive in my macbook went squiffy so I took it into the apple store with a selection of disks. Turns out that they have a variety of disks in a variety of states (scratched, clean, audio, data, etc) to test it with. When the new drive arrived it too 20 minutes from dropping my machine off to going back to fetch it

edit: in response to your most recent post, there are a few disks that it just refuses to play that seem fine on other machines. I'm not sure why this is but I think it's to do with the thickness of the disk and the slot-load mechanism.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

if it flat refuses to even load a disk it could be copy protected too. i've got one for sure that will not play:

...and you will know us by the trail of dead . so divided

i have played disks with some minor scratches on them, but most all of my disks are in immaculate condition. i have played dvds with some good scuffing...

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help whats going here? Airport won't turn on. | How Hot is your MacBook? (Literally) ..mine is 138 F... »