New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Just bought Macbook, now what?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BoA

BoA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black

I just bought a refurb. macbook (white, with the 80gb HD and 1gb ram) from the Apple Store online. This will make my third mac computer and tenth Apple Product.

Do you think it will be good for my needs? I posted a thread about which I should get and I decided on the macbook because I had 1400$ spare and it fit in my budget (I didn't see any refurb mbp 15" today). I plan to dual boot XP on it using Boot Camp and install Oldblivion so I can run Oblivion (I have an x360 I just like using the mods on the computeR). Does anyone know if the crappy graphics card in the MB (no offense) will handle Morrowind, though? I'd really like to install that as it was my favorite game. What about GTA (3,4, or 5)?

I don't game much and the MB will be used for Word, Surfing wirelessly during class (hehe), some real player, etc. I still have my iMac G5 for photoshop and such (For now, I might sell it).

Do you think the MB can handle that well? In XP? In Rosetta? How long do you think the MB will last in year length?

I also bought a case for it off of Amazon .
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

good luck on the new macbook!

i'd suggest doing your gaming on the imac. the macbook is much better suited to life as a traveling and couch companion for movies, music, web browsing, and photo stuff.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

the macbook can definitely handle that...it can handle pretty much anything except heavy gaming due to the graphics card...i would play ur GTA on the iMac rather than the 'book.

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

He can't do the gaming on the iMac, as stated by the intent to run Windows XP via bootcamp. I'm not sure that you will have too much sucess with heavy gaming, although games that may be a couple of years old or lighter on the graphics should be fine.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

well ,maybe not the games he mentioned, but he'll have better luck with the gaming experience as a whole on the imac, just with ppc games.

and the added benefit, no messing with windows!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
BoA

Pshaw, PPC games! So much fun, I could write books about the things me and this G5 have do--- er... nevermind *Walks Away*

So there is no hope for GTA3 on the MB even on low?

Is there anything else I need to buy for the MB now? I'm thinking of buying either an external or portable HD to share between computers for files, ya know? I'm a novel writer so having character sheets, plot outlines, and actual files would be GREAT!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

GTA3, Vice City & San Andreas play perfectly fine on my Core Duo mini with the same Video as the Macbook. There are others here on Mac Forums who have tried the GTA series and agree they are very playable. Bootcamp with XP SP2. Now Doom 3 is a different story. Those games though should be at least quite playable, for sure the GTA's as I LOVE GTA III, Vice City and the new one.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

GTA San Andreas run well enough on the MB... you experience a hint of slowdown every now and then, but it's fine IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
BoA

You two just made my day tonight/this morning!
Orgy? Jk lol
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA View Post

Is there anything else I need to buy for the MB now? I'm thinking of buying either an external or portable HD to share between computers for files, ya know? I'm a novel writer so having character sheets, plot outlines, and actual files would be GREAT!
well, if you havent bought Microsoft office, ur gonna want that. and all of that stuff u mentioned seems to be all smallish files, so i would suggest like a 2 gb flash drive rather than a bulky external hard drive.

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
BoA

I use Jer's Novel Writer on PPC because it is made for novels but I don't know if it's Universal, yet. I was a big fan of the free office suites on the G3. I plan on using Open Office until Word becomes Universal though. I used OO when I went through my Linux Phase...

Thanks though.

Yeah, pretty small files except when I take photos for ideas or locations/characters and when I do high-quality maps and portraits you know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook pro? | messed up harddrive »