New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook Graphics Card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

netlover

netlover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard

I'm thinking of getting a MacBook 2.0 GHz by the end of this month. I like everything about that laptop EXCEPT for one thing, the 64 MB ((SHARED)) Memory Graphics Card!! What was Apple thinking putting such a low graphics card. Maybe I am underestimating it, I mean was SHOCKED too see a guy running Windows Vista Aero Glass on that very same laptop. I mean my current PC laptop has 128 MB Memory and its independant (not shared) and Aero Glass doesnt work with me, whereas Macbook has a 64 MB graphics memory and that IS shared but Aero Glass works on that ???!

Someone willing to explain this please
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

What guy ran vista with aero glass on a MacBook?
QUOTE Thanks
netlover

This guy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GW6PcWyheFw
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

That mother worked great!
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

Check this video out. Ubuntu with XGL. Look nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbRYkotKkw
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

ugh, still the same old taskbar balloons. feh!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

i am running Vista on my macbook and it runs fine and fast (1g of ram) helps, the core of the intel integrated is 400mhz and the other details make it pretty good, vista wont lag, as long as you got 1g of ram or more, just like OSX runs good with 1g or more.

the macbook is meant as a small light laptop, an external vid card drains alot of battery so they left it out, would be hard to fit an external vid card into a macbook, is cramped already.
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
i am running Vista on my macbook and it runs fine and fast (1g of ram) helps, the core of the intel integrated is 400mhz and the other details make it pretty good, vista wont lag, as long as you got 1g of ram or more, just like OSX runs good with 1g or more.

the macbook is meant as a small light laptop, an external vid card drains alot of battery so they left it out, would be hard to fit an external vid card into a macbook, is cramped already.
Are you running Boot Camp ?
QUOTE Thanks
netlover

Mathiau,

Is Aero Glass working with you? And how is the graphics performance in the Macbook. I mean doesnt 64 MB shared seem pretty low to you?
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by netlover View Post
Mathiau,

Is Aero Glass working with you? And how is the graphics performance in the Macbook. I mean doesnt 64 MB shared seem pretty low to you?
keep in mind that when running in Windows the card can use upto 224megs of your system memory the 64meg limit is a OS X limit only.
QUOTE Thanks
netlover

You mean the graphics card uses memory from the RAM? So is that done automatically when you run Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
You mean the graphics card uses memory from the RAM? So is that done automatically when you run Windows?
the Intel 950 Graphics chip in the MacBooks uses system memory in both OS X and XP/Vista. Its a shared memory design. The Graphic chip has no memory of its own. So when booting with XP/Vista the OS can use up to 224megs, but in OS X it can only use 64megs.
QUOTE Thanks
netlover

Oh so in other words, running Vista on Macbook is like running a PC with 200 MB graphics memory right?
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Quote:
Oh so in other words, running Vista on Macbook is like running a PC with 200 MB graphics memory right?
Well not exactly, using the system memory isn't the most efficient setup, so what tends to happen is there is a bit of latency issues and thats one of the many reasons why integrated graphics chips aren't the greatest unless they are like some of the Ati 200Ms which would sometimes have their own 128megs of graphics memory plus what every they could grab from the system memory.

The Best setup is a dedicated video card with dedicated graphics memory like the ones in the MacBook Pro (ATI x1600). But the regular MacBook is a budget system so we get a budget video card.
QUOTE Thanks
darkness1555

darkness1555 is on a distinguished road

i believe that if one is paying one thousand dollars, which is a good load of cash, for a laptop, the least Jobs can do is ADD A FREAKIN' GRAPHICS CARD INTO THE BOOK. but mac has always been, and still is very stingy on the graphics options in every computer. but i do hope that they soon change this in the macbooks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Round plastic, size of a CD/DVD ejected from Superdrive :o | EFI Firmware 1.1 toasted my logic board! »