New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Update on my heat issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

Here's an update on what I considered to be heat issues in several places with my new Macbook.

Heat in several places, seems excessive

As far as the heat of the machine, apparently that's normal. I dwnld'd a fan monitoring app that shows it's running cooler than a lot of other peoples.

But for the interesting part, I thought the power pac was getting really hot and that where it plugged in to the MB was looking possibly...corroded. And even a few times the light there wouldn't turn on right away (but I thought that was my imagination). So I took it into the apple store. They looked at the power cord and right away see that one of the little prongs isn't sticking up all the way. Since it wasn't connecting properly it was "arcing" across the space. Not too safe. So they replaced that half of the power cord.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

is weird, i havent had any heat issues and i run 24/7 Folding at home SMP client which pegs my cpu at %100, fan always on high and no probs yet

Knock on wood!
QUOTE Thanks
Ben

Ben is on a distinguished road

You never actually mentioned how hot the processor is running and what the fan speed is. Despite that fact, the processor's temperature can be totally unrelated to how hot the casing is. The conventional term changed from laptop to notebook because these units do get hot and manufactures don't want them on their customer's lap. I work for Dell and a big biggie is overheating issues that are happening because customers have it on their lap or other parts of their body. If you're going to have it on your lap, then buy one of those stands to rest your MacBook on.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
You never actually mentioned how hot the processor is running and what the fan speed is. Despite that fact, the processor's temperature can be totally unrelated to how hot the casing is. The conventional term changed from laptop to notebook because these units do get hot and manufactures don't want them on their customer's lap. I work for Dell and a big biggie is overheating issues that are happening because customers have it on their lap or other parts of their body. If you're going to have it on your lap, then buy one of those stands to rest your MacBook on.
Thanks, that's good to know. I never would have guessed that the processor heat is unrelated to casing heat. I've noticed the fan on the most when I'm uploading my CD's to iTunes. That really gets it cranking.

I do use mine in my lap all the time. I think it's hysterical that "laptops" are not for your lap! Really the only reason I wanted one was so that I could move around the house while chasing my kids and take it with me. Well in a house with little kids, trust me, my lap is the safest place! And if not in my lap, where in a house can you use it? Not on a pillow, bed, rug... Only on a table or a non-rug floor. oooh, so comfy. So what's the point almost? Commuters can't use it on the train...? I get your point though. I can get a clipboard to put it on to make sure it's on the proper type of surface.

BTW my fan speed has yet to go above 1800 and for heat hasn't gone over 80C. So it's cooler than other people's reports here. I thought I mentioned it in the orig post, but I may have neglected to...

Thanks again,

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
Screwball6986

Screwball6986 is on a distinguished road

But its not a laptop its a notebook, laptops are no more

1.5 ghz 15" Powerbook G4 10.4 Tiger
MacBook White 2.0Ghz C2D 1Gig 10.4 Tiger
MacMini 1.25Ghz G4 1GB 40GB
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball6986 View Post
But its not a laptop its a notebook, laptops are no more
Yes. I get it. I read all the posts, lol.

Becky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CDR won't work but DVDR does | No sound coming from left speaker??? »