New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Mac OSX Version Question?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig

I bought my iBook G4 used and was wondering...how do I find out what operating system (10.1, 9.0...etc) I am running.

What are the advantages to upgrading to a higher version?

Thanks,
nOOb Macman :blind:
QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

To find out the current OS, click on the apple icon top left and go to 'about this mac'.
QUOTE Thanks
sleepy_monkey

Thanks!

Version 10.4.8

How can I make my Mac faster?

It has 1.33 GHz and 768 MB DDR SDRAM
QUOTE Thanks
Screwball6986

Screwball6986 is on a distinguished road

Well tiger is a memory hog so i would say maybe rip the 256 out and put in another 512

1.5 ghz 15" Powerbook G4 10.4 Tiger
MacBook White 2.0Ghz C2D 1Gig 10.4 Tiger
MacMini 1.25Ghz G4 1GB 40GB
QUOTE Thanks
sleepy_monkey

i was thinking about doing a 1 gig ram upgrade. is that something i can put in myself? i just want it to be as fast as possible....of course I could take that money and put it towards a new MacbookPro...my girlfriend just got one and I am jealous.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

additional ram will only make your computer faster if you are currently running out of ram on an nextremely frequent basis. you can find this out by monitoring your 'activity monitor' found in your applications>utilities folder, or by using an application such as iStat which puts a program on your desktop that displays all vitals of your computer

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy_monkey View Post
i was thinking about doing a 1 gig ram upgrade. is that something i can put in myself?
Yes. Unplug from the mains and remove the battery and any other devices (mouse etc). Undo the two small latches at the top of the keyboard (you may have to unlock the third central one with a small screwdriver). Lift the keyboard, flip it over and rest it on the trackerpad. Undo the 4 retaining screws on the RAM metal plate... touch a metal part to 'de-static' yourself prior to inserting your new RAM module... can sometimes be tricky... reverse the whole process. Voila!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« More RAM equals what exactly? | Need Help, I`m New In Mac Machines. »