sedination
    ibook newbie question
    Hey there,

I just bought an ibook g4 and this is my first laptop so I got a really quick question about laptops in general.

When my ibook is connected to ac power and I disconnect the cord from the ibook, do I also have to unplug the ac adapter completely from the power outlet? My concern is that if I don't, the ac adapter could short circuit or something like that. Thanks for the help!

iStair
    nah no need to remove it from the power socket.. as soon as it disconnects from the laptop, there is no power needed, so none is sent to the ac adapter. but on the other hand i have heard that it can make ur ac adapter less powerfull if u leave it in a turned on power socket for a long period of time.. im not sure how 100% accurate this is, but it isnt to hard to remove it from the power source

ibook newbie question
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    I wondered the same thing about my cell phone charger. I just make sure it's not touching anything that may short cicuit it, I've had no problem with it. I don't think it can degrade the power the adapter makes, as long as it's not connected to anything - nothing is happening.

nr-media
    You may want to think about plugging your AC adapter into a surge protected power strip instead of directly to the outlet. A sudden power surge is an easy ticket to buying a new laptop.

Seeker
    Talking
    hey I just got my Ibook too... currently letting it sleep whenever I'm not using it. Like the way it wakes up instantly whenever I need it...

But I leave my a/c adaptor plugged in and powered on so the laptop batt doesn't drain out... any danger in doing this?

certainly hope not

wouldn't wanna ruin a wonderful thing... ;-)

s3pt1k
    There is no danger in doing that, none at all.

ibook newbie question
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Long as we are gettin on about new iBook, here is a bit useful if you don't have Mac Janitor or the like:
    repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

Seeker
    thanks for the advice guys...

loving every min of my mac experience =)

Thread Information