New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Dead USB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jugger18

jugger18 is on a distinguished road

I just acquired a G3 dual USB(800mhz) ibook in a sweet trade. I fixed the logic board issue, now the only problem I am having is with the USB. System profiler detects both USB ports but no devices ever get detected in them. I have tried USB drives, ipod, apple keyboard. I have tried resetting the system by removing the ac and battery for 30 mins. I have also installed a fresh copy of tiger. The firewire port does work. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
jugger18

So I booted the Ubuntu live CD and had no USB there either so i think they may be physically dead, any ideas? I am going to open it up today and see if there is anything obvious
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

It could be a mechanical problem with the ports themselves (broken pins or "slats") or something could be fried on the logic board and it's reporting the wrong status (i.e., that it's working).

Good luck..
QUOTE Thanks
jugger18

I have thye system dissassembled now and can't see anything physically wrong...The weird thing is that both Mac OSx and Ubunbtu picked up on the fact that there were 2 ports
QUOTE Thanks
jugger18

The other Ibook issue I am having is that when plugged into the ac adapter the system is leaking electricity...by that I mean if i touch around the plastic on the back i get a mild shock...or if it is sitting on my metal desk at work the disk gives me a tingly shock.....maybe this zapped the USB...any ideas on that?
QUOTE Thanks
jugger18

Is it possible that a screwed up firmware could cause this?
QUOTE Thanks
jugger18

I have also acquired the Apple Hardware Test CD and it passes all tests
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microphone for recording seminars? | Dual USB(32Vram) shocking me »