New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Button button who screwed with my button?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steven11

steven11 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD

I'm not sure why but everytime i hit a couple of different buttons strange things happen that I don't want to happen...

#1 VOLUME DOWN IS THE NEW caps lock
#2 up arrow goes to the Expose, That sucks
#3 brightness low is the Dashboard hot key
#4 F12 is the Dashboard hot key= and the low brightness
#5 The button that makes the screen brighter now makes this symbol when pressed ```````,strange!!
#6 I cannot use my plus sign. if I use = that works and it also turns on Num Lock and disables my space bar.

There are really more I'm finding every hour please help!!
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Sounds like your keyboard is faulty. If it was just punctuation in the wrong place I'd think it was the keyboard layout selected by OS X, but for hardware affecting buttons like numlock to be affected it's usually the keybard itself.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

yea thats wayyy messed up...try rebooting, repairing disk permissions and connecting a USB keyboard...if the USB keyboard works then u need a new keyboard

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

I've rebooted a half dozen times over the past month. Repaired permissions ran onyx. I thought it may be a screwy quicksi;ver keyboard shortcut thing that I may have accidently allowed to run but I'm guessing from what I'm reading by two people that it could be hardware. This is the part where I wave my fist in the air and curse. I have applecare so hopefully they'll get things sorted out? Do you think it has anything to do with me spilling soda on the keyboard, just kidding. Thats the wacky part. My macbook just sits on its liltte iCurve pedestal on the bar and when i'm not working on it I'm looking at it and saying kind and affectionate things to it. So there is no way it had anything spilt on it. One day it just started acting a little odd.

Anymore Ideas,please?

P.S. Also I'm not running on a admin account. When I login to my adMin its the same scenario. So that rules out user isolated malfunction right?
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

Any chance someone else spilt something on it? Try te pram reset thingy.... comand option p r at start up..... what about when you boot from a osx dvd? (pres c with the disk interted as you start up)
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

It'd have to be sabotage. No one spilt anything on the computer that i've noticed.. I haven't tried te pram. Do you just boot it up and hold those four buttons down. Then what? What does that do? I don't usually do things to my computer that I'm not familiar with. No I haven't tried booting from disk but I've booted from a clone ExHD. That works fine but keyboard is still screwy.
Thanks for all the input keep it coming. Let me know what to do with PR thingy and i"l give it a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Make sure all apps that could be affecting this sort of thing are off as well before taking it in...
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Make sure all apps that could be affecting this sort of thing are off as well before taking it in...
Like what? I just zapped quicksilver. I never even got around to figuring it out. I'm getting ready to boot from disk and the P Ram thing did nothing. I hope its not applecare time.
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

The problem still continues...My next mission is to remove the third party HD and replace it with the stock one. Then I'll boot it it and see if the problem continues. If it does I'm guessing it'll have to be hardware in which case it'll already be ready to ship now that I replaced the third party part with stock. Does applecare freak out if they find a third party item in there; ie memory or a HD?
Does anyone else have any help for me? I've tried everything said so far.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Did you modify the default settings in the System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts pane?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I'm still going to go with faulty keyboard :-) Even if it's not, the Apple techs will boot from an external drive (proving it's not software) to test it so they'll tell you one way or another. It's got to be better than having no keyboard for ages when you've already shelled out for AppleCare!
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

Negative on keyboard settings. Its going in this week. I gotta pull out all the third party stuff and off she goes. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

Shazzam Sucka!! I called AC hung out on hold for 15 min. jumped through the hoops was told to call back next day hung out on hold for 5 this time. They told me what I already knew and I sent it in on Mon. at the end of the day. I got it back today in the morning. Less than 48 hours and I got a knew keyboard and cover and lid. They didn't say why but they didn't charge me so I don't care. I'm getting to be zippy fast at pulling RAM and HD. Takes like 5 minutes. Plus I got myMB back APPLECARE IS SO WORTH THE EXTRA LOOT!!!
QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Glad to hear it is all worked out! I agree, AppleCare is worth it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick question on the cd drive | Shipping »