New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Hard Drive Icon On Desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KNEE

KNEE is on a distinguished road

Hi sorry but i'm new to the mac world. Just purchase a new Macbook Pro 15 inch, with 2.16 C2D, 1 gig ram, and 120 HD. There one thing that really makes me mad about the mac desktop is that, I set my desktop to show the amount of hd space i have available and used on my desktop. The icon wont update the info, keeps on saying i have like 90 gig left when i know there is less, since i just aded like 3 gig of mp3. Strange thing is when i reboot the comp it shows the correct info on my desktop with the hd icon... very werid...
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

When you double-click the HD Icon, is the Capacity info on the bottom of the Finder Window correct?

Welcome to the Forums!
QUOTE Thanks
KNEE

:dive: Not sure, I never check it like that...usually i would go file info on the hd then it launch another small box where i can change the color and stuff and it shows me the info of my hd....those info are correct. I'll try your method later tonight since my macbook pro is at home...
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

mine does the same...it only updates after i log out and then back in...

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
KNEE

Wow that kinda lame....kinda defeats the purpose of having it display like that....to bad.....any 1 else have this problem. I guess i can live with it..but kinda dumb in apple to design it like that.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill_Gates

Bill_Gates has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz

I'm not 100% (more like 95.8%) but the amount of free space that appears under the HDD icon on the desktop will only refresh if Finder is restarted.

It doesn't actively/automatically update to my knowledge.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

Since its so annoying just turn it off. Its distrating and usually off by a bit. When you really need to know just double click and look at the bottom of the window.
QUOTE Thanks
Sheehan

Sheehan is on a distinguished road

This has always been the case for me as well and the only reason why I keep that option on is because I am constantly connecting external HDs and servers so I get the current usage info on those when they are connected.

I find this bug truely annoying though and perhaps we will see an improvement in 10.5
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

All you have to do is relaunch the Finder to get the updated information.
Bring up the 'Force Quit' menu, select Finder, and then hit the Relaunch button.
Then your volume information will be updated on your Desktop.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

I use a widget called iStat pro that updates on the fly. Google it.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
rookies

rookies is on a distinguished road

How do you do this i am been trying to find out how do I get my HD data information under the icon on desktop since i saw this thread
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Click on the Finder in the Dock. Be sure Finder is showing in the tool bar at the top. Click View, Click on Show View Options. Check Show Item Info. Below is a pic of that panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (21.6 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

I noticed the numbers on the icon were off but never realized why, good to know that its not wrong, but just need to be updated
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEE View Post
Wow that kinda lame....kinda defeats the purpose of having it display like that....to bad.....any 1 else have this problem. I guess i can live with it..but kinda dumb in apple to design it like that.
same boat, very dissappointed with osx in that regard. whats the point of using it? nada

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual dVI display? | What is model for Superdrive ? »