New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - How are the 1.83 Macbook Pros?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

hey everyone. right now im selling/trading my macbook and imac (see for sale section), and im really wanting to get a MBP.

im talking to someone about possibly purchasing a 1.83 Macbook Pro. he got it last year in march, and i believe this was the first generation MBPs. kinda curious what the differences are in this machine and the current ones. i gathered that this 1.83 probably has a 128mb graphics card. what about how many RAM slots it has? USB slots? Firewire 400 AND 800 or just 400, etc?

now when i look at sheer costs, my macbook and imac together new were about $2Kish. he paid $1999 + tax and all that. is this a fair swap? should i be looking for someone with a C2D MBP with higher processor speed?

im not gonna be using this for SUPER processor intensive stuff, but would like a laptop that can handle final cut, etc if the occasion arises. i use my current macs for photos, video/audio editing. is this a fair trade, what are the differences, and would you hold out for a better deal, or what? thanks in advance.

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

IMO if you already have a macbook to begin with, i dont think itll really be worth your time to do the trade.

that said. i love my mbp. i owned a nonpro for about 8months.

the speed is about the same on both, even though th MB only had 1.83 vs the 2.16 c2d in my current pro.

its just preference i guess. i wanted the bigger screen.

im not real familiar with final cut software, but if its video stuff the pro will fare better id imagine.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

just reread your post. I would never trade an iMac, and a MB for a single mbp.

thats just not fair. of course he wants u to trade him he'll be getting two machines that are about the same as what he is giving you.

QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

i see what you are saying.. two machines for one.

if its all the same, then why can apple justify charging 2K+ for a MBP and a grand for an imac, and a grand for a non-pro macbook?

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

my macbook was considerably more than a grand.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

also, im now fielding some offers of MBPs with higher specs that the 1.83... example 2+ GHz with 2 gigs of ram... how does that stand up against the swap?

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
my macbook was considerably more than a grand.

looking at your specs, yeah, it was haha. mine, however, was something like 1050 after my educational discount.

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

IMHO the macbook pro is an amazing machine that is much more capable than the macbook....that being said, i think it would be a horrible mistake to trade TWO great macs for a single (outdated) MBP. I know im going to catch some crap for saying that the 1.83 CD is outdated....but especially in the next 6 months, i think it will really start to show its age.
QUOTE Thanks
traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

The 1.83 CD MBP was my worst computer......actually worst technology experience ever. Apple thankfully replaced it with a 2.16 C2D. If not for apples awesomeness in understanding the headaches that model caused, and replaceing the machine...I may have had to jump back to PC's.
-d
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

ok, so ive gathered to hold off on the 1.83 MBP because of the heat issues and other headaches... how about the 2+Ghz models?

also, what do you guys think about the gloss vs. matte screens? im personally a huge fan of my friend's glossy MBP, and some of these offers ive recieved have great specs (2.16 with 2gigs of ram, 120 HD, 256mb, etc) but have a matte screen and i dont want to hate myself just for the screen. ive owned a few ibooks in the past, which had matte screens, and they didnt bother me, but after being on a MB for the last 6 months, has it spoiled me? opinions?

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

i would never own anything but a glossy. people complain like no other about them, and i dont know why. flourescent lighting is visible on it, but come on. i sit with windows behind me, and im just fine.

go gloss. i still stick by my original post. 2 machines of those specs, for one mbp is not in your favor. youll be upset with yourself after what you have done.

my mbp, i love, more than the mb i owned before. but the reasons for getting it, were mainly the screen size. if i had a mb, and an Imac at the same time, i woulda not even considered the mbp.

and whoever said the mbp is "SO MUCH MORE CAPABLE" than the mb, is on crack. the only huge difference is a videocard.

QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

all good points... what if someone offered you a 2.16 2 gig 17 inch MBP for the two machines? id like a more powerful laptop... neither one of my macs can even run final cut, etc.

how about that MBP? would you go with that deal? i just want some more juice and the imac and macbook arent doing it. mac pro is out of the question as id rather have a laptop... 17 inch MBP is essentially replacing my 17 imac and i still have the portability of a laptop. anyone?

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

i dont know much about final cut pro. what makes it so stressful on your current macs? It looks like video editing stuff, so maybe the gfx card in your macbook may not be the best for that.

but what about the iMac, what does it have in it? if its a gma950, id be interested in the 17 mbp. if its an x1600, the 17mbp is really not gonna be a whole lot better.

i just dont see the reasoning for the switch. unless youve got gma in your iMac, specs please?

QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

ok, thanks so much guys... after some thought, im thinking maybe i should just hold onto my macbook and imac unless i got some really great deal i cant pass up, but just run of the mill MBP that has heat issues, has about the same specs as my MB, etc im going to hold off on.

thanks much.

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

IM humble O, thats the right move.
-d
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dirty white MacBooks? | Need to re-install system software »