New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Cloning internal hd for replacement?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Ok, quick question. I am upgrading to a 120gb hd. How do I reinstall EVERYTHING on my new hd? Do i have to burn it all to disks? When I replace the hd, do I do a clean install using the macbook osx disk that come with the macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dude

Mac Dude will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo

If you had an external or network drive you could backup the entire disk image to the external drive, remove the old drive, plug-in the new drive, run the Apple install disks, reconnect to the network, and reinstall the original disk image.

That's a lot of work though. Maybe someone else can post an easier way. I know I've seen a USB to SATA cable, maybe you could get one of those copy your hard drive to the new disk, then remove the old disk, install the new one and off you go.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

Thats exactly what I was hoping to be able to do macdude. I wasn't sure if a usb to sata wire existed, and if so, would it ork.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

Found this:
http://tmg4apc.com/product_info.php?...FQIiNAodTXMsgw
If I use this, would I be able to install mac osx through usb, or do I need to switch drives internally for installation, and once the new drive is in the macbook, could I use the original drive as an external using this device?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dude

Mac Dude will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Found this:
http://tmg4apc.com/product_info.php?...FQIiNAodTXMsgw
If I use this, would I be able to install mac osx through usb, or do I need to switch drives internally for installation, and once the new drive is in the macbook, could I use the original drive as an external using this device?
You could use that or you could just buy an external enclosure for a SATA drive. This way you have an enclosure for the external drive. Here is a link to Newegg for some ideas: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...losure&Ntk=all

Once you get the enclosure I'd first try temporarily installing the new drive and see if you can't use Apple's Migration utility to move everything over to the new drive (not sure if that utility will work but it's worth a try). Otherwise you could look for a utility that will clone the image from your current drive onto the new drive. If that doesn't work you'll need to do a more manual method and install the new drive in your Macbook, the old drive in the enclosure, use the Apple Restore disc to get OS X on the new drive, plug-in the old drive to the USB port, and then move over anything you need.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A small rant about the macbook's design. | RAM for Sibelius »