New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - new MacBook user...questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chiffonhead

chiffonhead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro

I just got a MacBook on Sunday to replace, for the most part, the iMac I've been using for the past 2 years. I have a couple of questions...

1 - in moving my stuff from my iMac to my MacBook, I've been moving various things to my external harddrive and then loading onto my MacBook. will this work for programs I've downloaded over the years or do I have to go back and find all those programs and download them again onto my MacBook?

EDIT - I think I've found what I need with respect to my second question.

thanks! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the coming days.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

You should be able to just drag them onto the external hard disk, then drag them back off onto the new machine.

If you get a firewire cable, you can set your old mac to 'target disk mode' and use either manual file copies or the migration wizard to copy directly as if the imac was an external hard disk.
QUOTE Thanks
chiffonhead

chiffonhead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro

^^^
awesome. thank you.

i will rise up with fists!!
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

I used the Setup Assistant when moving from my eMac to my MacBook and it transferred *everything* flawlessly. 20 minutes after I unpacked it my MacBook was set up exactly like my eMac was. Definitely the best way to move across Macs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM pairs? | Macbook stuck on apple screen »