New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Old Powerbook v Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TDRP

TDRP is on a distinguished road

Ok chaps heres a quick one......new (mid) Macbook, versus old 15" 1.67ghz 1gb RAM powerbook.........

im sure there are many things to consider by my thought (and having previously used a powerbook for work (video editing on FCP)) I have experience with them and know they are pretty tasty.

My thought is basically to capitalise on the influx of second-hand 'old' powerbooks (those apple boys sure do know how to whip up a frenzy )
.....but if the macbook really is a match for the 'old' powerbook then i'll obviously seriouslt consider a macbook

any thoughts are most welcome

TDRP
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I went with the 15" PB over a new MB just for the simple fact the screen on the MB is way to small for my taste.. 13" just won't cut it for me.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

There was a Poll for this recently -

CLICK!

Some good opinions there.
QUOTE Thanks
TDRP

cheers for that Moss, much appreciated, but video editing is definitely an issue for me and something i may well do at some point (im getting rid of my G5 as well) so with, what seem to be doubts, over the macbooks video handling (FCP) maybe an old powerbook is the one for me......?!?!?!?

anyone out there using Fin al Cut Pro on a new (mid) macbook?

TDRP
QUOTE Thanks
TDRP

http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.c...e.jsp?id=43717

thought this made for interesting reading as well...

TDRP
QUOTE Thanks
netguy

netguy is on a distinguished road

My rule of thumb, is never to buy old, outdated technology, when for a couple of hundred more, you can get the latest.

Especially in this situation, where the new Intel proc's easily outperfom the older PPC processors.
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

If you are looking for performance and price the new macbook would run better and apple gives you a lot of applications with the new macbooks. I had the same decision to make and i bought a macbook, but thats my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSight and other chat programs | Upgrade »