New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - iSight and other chat programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yearoftherat

yearoftherat is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook duo core and know that the built in isight can be used with iChat. Is there a way to use isight with other chat programs such as msn messenger (I know ver 6.01 doesn't have video capability) or adium?
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

i was wondering the exact same thing cuz i couldnt find an option for it
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

aMSN allows you to chat with MSN users using the cam

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Adium does not have cam support at all, nor will it.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Adium does not have cam support at all, nor will it.
Thats a shame, I mean I knew it didn't have support - but didn't realise that this was never going to happen.

Did anyone try Fire for IM? I just wondered if that one had iSight support?
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

msb86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200

I would just stick with iChat just to make life more easy. iChat is meant to interface with the camera etc. However, imho, I don't see a point in video instant messaging..

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Thats a shame, I mean I knew it didn't have support - but didn't realise that this was never going to happen.

Did anyone try Fire for IM? I just wondered if that one had iSight support?
Fire does not have iSight support and they just announced last week that there will be no more development for the program

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb86 View Post
However, imho, I don't see a point in video instant messaging..
There are plenty of people who video chats are perfect for. I get to see my family only every couple of months, but with the iSight I can see them every couple of days or whenever we can be online at the same time

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

jacefox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
I have a macbook duo core and know that the built in isight can be used with iChat. Is there a way to use isight with other chat programs such as msn messenger (I know ver 6.01 doesn't have video capability) or adium?
I do not know about msn or adium, however, the isight works great with Yahoo! messenger. Have already had a webcam chat with a friend.
QUOTE Thanks
Mactime

Mactime is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo

yeah it doesnt work with adium, which is the biggest negative about adium. Its a great software otherwise since you only need to download one program (adium) and you can chat with others who have MSN, Yahoo......etc. This why I dont have 3 diffrent messengers to be able to talk to people.
I see above that aMSN supports isight who here uses it, is it a stable program, are the bugs cleared, any crashes.........reason iam asking is iam currently using adium and its stable no crashes whatsoever.

your input is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dude

Mac Dude will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo

After limited success with Yahoo Messenger I went ahead and got a .MAC account and started using iChat. iChat is easier to use but you pay for the convenience.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Too bad there is no way to use these chat programs interactively with each other. Unfortunately you are pretty limited as to which messenger program you can choose. Does you no good to have aim if the person you are trying to talk to is on yahoo. It would be nice to use yahoo to chat with someone on aim, or vice-versa. Yahoo is pretty lacking when it comes to features with their mac version of messenger. Anyway, I read somewhere that adium developers have no plans whatsoever to add webcam capabilities to their product.
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Dude View Post
After limited success with Yahoo Messenger I went ahead and got a .MAC account and started using iChat. iChat is easier to use but you pay for the convenience.

You could have gotten an AIM screen name and used iChat for free.
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Dude View Post
I use iChat and an AOL screen name with it and I did not pay anything, why did you have to?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive is making bleeping sounds while erasing? | Old Powerbook v Macbook »