New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Whats wrong with my new Macbook? J/K

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nemick

nemick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD

HI all,
(Insert tongue in cheek)

I am a recent "switcher", after using exclusively only windows for many years.

I think there must be something wrong with my new Macbook, because when I turn it on from cold, it seems to be ready to do stuff on it within 35 seconds. Additionally, it closes down in under 9 seconds when I tell it to shut off.

This is a little disconcerting for me, since I am used to having time to make a cup of tea or similar while waiting for windows to launch and I was able to take a nap while waiting for windows to close. I now find myself more thirsty and alot more tired than I used to be!!

(Remove tongue)

Really, though, I am a new poster and just wanted to say hi and mention how pleased I am with my new Mac. I am sure to have waaay too many questions in the coming months and I hope you can all be patient with me.

Neil M
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Welcome to the forum - congrats on the purchase.

As for the thirst/caffeine problem - maybe stocking up on Red Bull might be in order - a couple of the bulk packs stashed in your desk drawer might be a good move.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Welcome neil. I am a recent switcher as well. Its amazing how you start to do stuff on the mac and you somehow anticipate the moment you have to troubleshoot. It never happens. The mac just works. Mine always takes about 22 seconds to start. What are your specs?

Also I bought A book called OSX the missing manual. Its pretty helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

welcome!

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
nemick

nemick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD

kilo15,

I have the 2.0 Core 2 Duo, with 1G of ram. I am contemplating maxing out the ram, but I suspect I will have even less time at start up then.

I'll take a look for the book you mentioned.

Neil M
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

nemick -- welcome to the forum. In the future, though, please keep your tongue to yourself.

:ninja:
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Get more memory it runs better. I have the 2 gigs.

Get it.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Welcome aboard. I've been doing this Mac thing for two years now, but I remember the days when Windows would always remind me that I'm hooked up to my wireless network; the same wireless network I told it to connect to, the ONLY wireless network around here (well, at least which I know the WEP key for.) And remind me that updates are available for my computer, or that I plugged in my thumb drive, or iPod, or hub. And that my computer might be vulnerable to attack.

Well, I sort of still live in those days since I have to use Windows for work, but not that much. I hate hitting F9 on my Dell and just have it beep at me.
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

jacefox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD

Welcome aboard nemick!

I just got my first macbook as well and am new to the world apple. I was just as amazed with the startup time and shut down. Also, programs load fast!! I've been blown away.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Welcome to the forums nemick!
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Hello and welcome Nemick!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Optical drive problems? | What kind of RAM came with my Mac Book Pro? »