New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Trouble with Ethernet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alibumaye

alibumaye is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I'm in New Zealand now (I don't know if they would have anything to do with the problem) and my ethernet doesn't work! Last semester it was working fine, and I haven't tampered with the network settings since then (because I don't know what the hail I'm doing) When I check status, the little button next to it is yellow, instead of green and says its plugged up but may not work because I have a self-assigned IP address. I called apple and they gave me no help because I don't have apple care. I called my internet provider and they said from their end, it looks like I am plugged into the net and should be working fine. So my question is: how do I fix this problem? My wireless works flawlessly by the way, but I don't get a wireless connection in my room :radioacti

Please help me! I hate having to sit out on the yard at night just to use my laptop, I'd like to use it in the comfort of my own room. New Zealand is pretty cool by the way on a side note! l:headphone

It's the resturn of the gangsta......thanks ta--
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

If you are connected to a modem, power the modem down, wait for 10 minutes and then power the modem back up. Same goes for the router if applicable. This will force them to hard-reset the IP's registered. I can't think of anything better at the mo.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

System Preferences - Network -
Show: Built-in Ethernet
Click on the TCP/IP tab
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP (not Using DHCP with manual address)
Click on the 'Renew DHCP Lease' button

See where this gets ya

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
alibumaye

alibumaye is on a distinguished road

yogi:

I'm not connected to a modem, not trying to be rude, but usually in college dorms its just an ethernet plug into the wall usually next to a phone line where you can also plug that in as well. There is no modem to turn on and off in my room.

bobtomay:
so the problem is with my computer?? I don't understand how it worked fine and then when I come here I have a problem. I NEVER tamper with the settings so.....this is all brand new to me.

It's the resturn of the gangsta......thanks ta--
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only going by the message you are providing, saying it is not working due to having a self-assigned IP address. You need to have the address assigned by the DHCP server not internally. These are the settings I gave you above.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Latency issues with M-Audio Mobile Pre | is this the end of my data? »