New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - iBook vs. MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

desertsong

desertsong is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am a PC user who wants to get a Mac laptop. Can someone please help me by telling me the differences between the iBook and MacBook? I know the iBook is the older model and is now cheaper, obviously. Does it really pay to spend the extra money on a MacBook? I don't need anything fancy. Is one clearly a better computer or are they comparable?

Oh, and one last question. I know MacMall.com is a cheaper way to go but are their 'puters reliable? They aren't refurbished, are they?

Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

The difference between an iBook and a MB is immense. MB comes with the latest Core 2 Duo processor from Intel whereas iBook has a relatively old G4 (PPC) processor from IBM. MB are obviously energy efficient and extremely fast running native applications. However not all the applications are running native on new MBs but this will soon be history.

MB has lot of hardware improvements compared to its predecessor such as new processor, better display, better network card, etc.,.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

As novicew said, the difference is huge. It's an entire generation gap between the two machines, and everything is improved. The iBook is a great choice for a budget machine if you can get one cheap enough, but it'd have to be very cheap considering it likely wouldn't be under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
desertsong

Thank you for your helpful reponses. The only thing that's really throwing me is that I have to buy WORD separately?! Yikes, it's $400.

Also, as a PC person, how will I figure out how to use a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

there are many alternatives to word on mac. neooffice and openoffice are two.
QUOTE Thanks
desertsong

But I am a writer and editors usually require Word.

Does anyoneone have any experience buying from MacMall.com?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Thank you for your helpful reponses. The only thing that's really throwing me is that I have to buy WORD separately?! Yikes, it's $400.
Well, Word by itself (without Excel or PowerPoint) is "only" $210. Office Standard is currently $340 (from Amazon.)

But, you don't have to buy Word. Depending on your needs, you might be better off with NeoOffice (for free) or iWork ($80) both of which can export Word docs to some degree.

Quote:
Also, as a PC person, how will I figure out how to use a Mac?
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
That gets you started. Beyond that, just experiment...and ask questions.
QUOTE Thanks
Aubie16

Aubie16 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD

I am required to have word too...but i dont.

neo-office has a built in utility that allows you to save documents in word format. I email attachments all the time in word format. haven't had any problems.
QUOTE Thanks
rogueace

rogueace is on a distinguished road

Neo Office can open Word documents (.doc) and save to them, easy as pie. No one will tell this difference and it is free and continuously being updated. Try this before deciding to pay for Microsoft Office. Not only does it do just Word files, it also will open and save to every other Microsoft Office file, IE: .ppt, .xls, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

also the ibook is a dying breed....the mb will last a long time, can run windows, is the latest and greatest, and many many more things. yes it does cost more but the price is worth it
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I love my ibook for the work I do on a laptop away from home, but if I had it to do over again i would for sure get the Macbook. It's faster and better in every way than the ibook and like Coach said, more future proof. It's everything the ibook was and a LOT more all in one machine at to me a very fair price for all you get.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

definitely do not buy an ibook...

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

No one had commented on his question about MacMall which i was wondering too
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
But I am a writer and editors usually require Word.

Does anyoneone have any experience buying from MacMall.com?
get the student/teacher version.
it's $150.
i got it on sale for $100 at CompUsa.
AND it came with a $50 rebate!
you just gotta look for a good deal. ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
vipersxt10

vipersxt10 is on a distinguished road

Well you have diffrent problems going into both the ibook and the macbook, the macbook is alot faster and I mean alot its like a neon vs. a viper, although I have heard of the macbooks having problems with breaking fans and breaking optical drives also a common complaint is the macbook shutting itself down on its own which will likely be fixed in a next firmware update...but the ibook has a major problem which is the video the ibooks motherboard can flex and the ATI 9550 graphics unit can lose contact with the motherboard and low and behold you have no video at all and need a new motherboard...$700 as much as an ibook now adays... except you will have no warranty so go with the macbook for sure plus you dont know how much longer apple will support ibooks ppc for the new operating systems, oh and one last thing macmall.com is wonderful I bought my imac g5 2.0 Ghz from them and an ipod 5G and nothing but the best I know many people who have bought from them and www.macmall.com is HIGHLY recomended and will give you nothing but the best costumer support!!!! :mac:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 vs. 2.16 vs. 2.33ghz | Wait or Buy MBP? »