New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - The Glossy screen is driving me NUTS!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

ok i really wish i had gotten the matte screen instead of the glossy

the glare is almost unbearable its so annoying too because some lighting is worse than others and its like i can only use the glossy screen mb pro if the lighting is "just right"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr do uthink apple will let me exchange it?

its already been 2 months
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
do uthink apple will let me exchange it?

its already been 2 months
Not if it has been two months.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
soyboy

soyboy is on a distinguished road

That's a bummer about your screen. Personally I love the glossy screen with the rich colors etc. I haven't had any glare problems. I guess it all depends on the lighting that you are generally under. I have used my computer in my office with the overhead lights as well as at home with the typiclal lighting. Have you tried making some small adjustments in the angle of the screen to help reduce the glare?
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i dont notice glare ever. this is with a huge window directly behind me.

you learn to live with it, and tune it out.

its not as bad as people make it out to be. your sol with apple, after two months, youre on your own

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Rizzo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone

I feel you man. I bought the matte screen and am very very happy I did. I see the glossy screen MBPs at the Apple store and it makes me glad I bought the matte. Like the others said though, you will eventually get used to it.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

i am also a big fan of the glossy screen....it looks so much more vibrant to me than the matte. "different strokes for different folks" i guess
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

There are times when I notice that I would rather have the matte than a glossy screen. Whenever I am in my parents' living room, there's a lot of sun coming through the windows and I get pretty bad glares.

Although, when I'm doing work in Photoshop or watching a movie where it's a lot darker and I have the screen brightness up, WOW is enough said!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I like the glossy because I can see my own reflection when the screen turns off.... :black:
QUOTE Thanks
fzanetti

fzanetti is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33G DUO CORE 17"

The glare is definitely there, however it's so much better screen than the matte one... Just my opinion....

You may regret if you have really to use the latter all the time..

Flavio Zanetti
Boston, MA
QUOTE Thanks
Lite

Lite is on a distinguished road

brightness is higher
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i have 0 trouble reading mine inside with flourescent lighting.

personal preference i guess. i looked in the apple store at both screens. pulled up some files.

the matte was no competition for the glossy. the glossy looked brighter too

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

My answer:

Sandpaper!!!

ok, jk.
QUOTE Thanks
choi0706

choi0706 is on a distinguished road

I'll buy your screen if you don't like it.. No really I need one, mine is broken.. neye:
QUOTE Thanks
Jen

Jen is on a distinguished road

I am a designer. I like matte but glossy is a new one, I know PC has many glossy screen.

I spent a lot researched between matte and glossy before I bought a Macbook Pro (got it this week). I read 'matte vs glossy' on articles, blogs and forums. So many odd users commented they like matte and glossy, so many complained about glossy that has reflective from light. I wrote down two lists between matte and glossy what I am going to use and what matte/glossy are for. It did help me, probably just I am a designer have experience such as solving problems. I was worried about glare on glossy screen. I found someone said Apple's glossy has less reflective than PC's glossy. I was really stuck both, wish there is one display in the middle of 50% matte/glossy screen (hope you know what I mean). After done researched, I took a look at my CRT monitor, had glossy and glare. I imagined them as MacbookPro glossy screen. I can stand with glare, I don't even notice them unless I see in my eyes on focus. I can ignore them while looking stuff on display. No problem so far. I decided to go with glossy

The results are:
Matte is good for accurate colours, reduce eyestrain and print.
Glossy is good for viewing, rich colours, multimedia (videos, photos and movies).

I wish to choose matte for MBP but I don't need to, because I am not going to design or print except PC desktop as I planned to buy LCD widescreen display (matte).

I'm glad this is my first MAC personally I have used PowerMAC G5 with 20" Cinema display at college.

Why did you come here to ask if Apple will exchange display? This is not Apple services, why don't you phone or email them?

Macbook Pro (Glossy) 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Harddrive, 6x SuperDrive
Portfolio: www.designgraphy.com | Hosted by: www.tribolis.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook to HDTV problems | 2 Questions »