New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - 5.1 surround sound speakers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raidair21

raidair21 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook

So I have a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers that I had been letting my brother use on his computer. I want to know if I can run them to my macbook. here is the problem: the speakers run three sets of audio plugins: green, black, orange (not in any particular order, but for the center speaker, rear speakers, and the sub/front speakers). They came with a little box thing that converts those three plugs into basic red/white audio inputs for a tv.

My question to ya'll: is there any possibility of then turning the red/white wires into a single input for my macbook? Or maybe some kind of USB converter?
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

Well, I have a device that converts the red/white thingys into a headphone-style jack, so if you had what I have you could then simply plug all of that into the headphone jack of your macbook. I have no idea where to buy them though, maybe someone else can help.
QUOTE Thanks
raidair21

alright cool, at least that means that this device exists.

anyone know where to find it? or a technical name for it?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Griffin Technology's FireWave would do the trick. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

You could do something like this:

3-Ft. Gold Series Stereo Y-Cable, Phono Plugs to 1/8" Jack

http://RSK.imageg.net/graphics/produ...265310w345.jpg

Belkin® PureAV AV24002 Audio Cable Coupler (2-Pack)

http://RSK.imageg.net/graphics/produ...204605w345.jpg

This is how I connect my mac to my stero. There is cheaper versions of the cable coupler.
You can get all this at radioshack, wallmart or any place that sells A/V cables. It shouldn't cost more than $10 to do.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

http://www.frontx.com/pro/c215_012.html

That would probably also work.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
http://www.frontx.com/pro/c215_012.html

That would probably also work.
That would work! Forgot all about that.
QUOTE Thanks
raidair21

thanks a lot for all the help! reps for all!
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

If you have a Radio Shack around you, they usually have a HUGE selection of audio adapters, check there first, or try them out online, good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
phiscobisco

phiscobisco is on a distinguished road

Hey,

So what if I want to go straight from the orange, green and black plugs on the 5.1 surround sound system and connect it to my macbook, but I cant because it only takes the green cable. How do I resolve this? are there sound cards that are usb/external that have jacks for all3 cables?
QUOTE Thanks
ilja.olijevskis

ilja.olijevskis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black Macbook

This is how its going to be You are going to have your rear speaker NOT playing.. unless you get griffin wirewave or external sound card with 5.1. that supports mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

Creative has some external USB soundcards that have 5.1 outputs and offer high quality. I don't know if they work on macs and many have been discontinued. Try eBay.

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
Mo_274

Mo_274 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black

As far as I know the analogue speakers with 1/8"th jacks cannot be used to get the 5.1 surround sound from macs and if you wanna use this sort of speakers FireWave or a similar product is the way to go.
What mac supports thou is optical audio output from the same headphone jack and that gives you lossless quality (If you can afford to change your speakers or you have a home audio system that works with optical input this is the way to go)
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Get one of these. I bought one because I wanted to use my 5.1 surround speakers on my xbox 360. You'll need that, and a 1/8" headphone plug-to-RCA cord (usually can find them for a few bucks) as well.

It works wonders and you can turn anything with RCA into true-5.1 surround sound.
QUOTE Thanks
Mo_274

Mo_274 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x0r View Post
Get one of these. I bought one because I wanted to use my 5.1 surround speakers on my xbox 360. You'll need that, and a 1/8" headphone plug-to-RCA cord (usually can find them for a few bucks) as well.

It works wonders and you can turn anything with RCA into true-5.1 surround sound.
Have you used them with your Mac? from what I can see, u need another converter to to get a left and right RCA out of the normal headphone jack and then connect the 5.1 speakers.(as you mentioned)
I don't think it could be used as actual OS X managed surround ?

Can you try this and check the Audio output in system preferences and see if you manage all the channels ? I'm not very optimistic about this, I think it just makes a virtual surround from left and right inputs, something like Ambiance stereo .

Looking forward to reading your reply
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creaking blackbook | 3rd time... »