New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook Trackpad Button 'Pre-click' problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johncarvill

johncarvill is on a distinguished road

Hi folks

Just got a MacBook and have become an instant cliched Mac fanatic. Just got a query re. the trackpad: is it normal, when clicking the button on the trackpad, to experience a kind of 'pre-click', which is both heard (very faintly) and felt, so the overall feeling of clicking is a two-stage process rather than just one? I find this 'pre-click' a little bit annoying, but I'll put up with it if it's normal.

This seems to occur more when clicking towards the ends of the trackpad button. It's maybe caused by some little electric contact engaging?

If I tap on the button, but not hard enough to trigger a click, I hear a little high-pitched noise, faint, but noticible. I just worry that something is loose which could become looser and cause a problem?

Thanks
John
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i dont even use the trackpad button anymore.

i have the machine to click on trackpad tap.

very useful, and above all, QUIET

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
vxdom

vxdom is on a distinguished road

More of a rattle if you tap it rather than a click, but yeah.

As said above, tapping the track pad does the trick silently!
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

My ibook was like that. My new macbook is very smooth, but my old ibook used to have a kinda double click. Sort of like a little resistance while clicking, then release half way down with a little barely audible and barely felt pop. Anyway, i dont think its normal. My macbook is extremely smooth, but like I said the ibook was that way.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

That's not normal. My MacBook is smooth, though it does feel a little loose on the right side and there is a bigger gap then the left side. Like it's raised up a bit. But still one sigle smooth click.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

All smooth clicking for me too. That "high-pitched noise" may be somethnig to worry about though...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I gotta agree with all the guys here, my Macbook's trackpad button is near silent. No high pitched noise or whatever it was you were describing. I would have it checked out by Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
johncarvill

johncarvill is on a distinguished road

Just checked this morning, and confirmed that the 'pre-click' does occur even when the Macbook is switched off, so maybe it's a flaw in the actual clicker mechanism under the button? I wonder if this is related to the 'mushy' trackpad button problem I've seen mentioned?

Will probably take the Macbook in and have someone from Apple look at it.

Thanks fof all the responses
John
QUOTE Thanks
macbook37499

macbook37499 is on a distinguished road

sorry to bring up such an old topic, but this problem arised in my laptop as well! i was searching for this exact problem in other laptops, any solutions anyone????
QUOTE Thanks
mab

mab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11

I have a 2.0 Ghz, black, Macbook, and have the same problem. My Macbook is two weeks shy of its first birthday, so still (barely) under warranty. I brought it into the Apple Store tonight, and they are going to replace the entire 'top layer' which includes the trackpad key and the keyboard.

The left side of the Macbook frame also is a little loose near the usb ports. They indicated that is also replaceable under warranty, but would have to be sent out. I may do this next week before the warranty expires.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying a used MacBook Pro and need some advice | Upgrading RaM outside of Apple »