New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Flashing Finder after new optical drive install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jps72

jps72 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67GHz, OSX 10.4.8

I have just replaced my existing broken Superdrive in my Powerbok G4 (OSX 10.4.8) with a new Superdrive.

However, when I boot up all I get is the flashing finder icon in the middle of the screen. I have double/triple checked etc. all the connections on the inside and still no luck.

Upon putting the old broken drive back in, it starts up as normal.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I use the mac everyday and having no CD drive is incredibly irritating.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

buying an external firewire drive seems like the cheapest way to go...

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

i agree....you can get a smokin' fast external dual layer DVD burner for hardly nothing these days.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

i don't know if there are jumper on the superdrive. If there are make sure they are set the same as the old drive.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
jps72

jps72 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67GHz, OSX 10.4.8

I can't see any evidence of a jumper on the new drive, will have to open up the thing yet again to check the old drive.

I suppose an external drive is a temporary solution, however I really need to sort out the internal drive as I travel a lot with the powerbook.

thanks for the suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iColours | Questions About Calibrating »